Recommendations please for quality restoration work

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Bobbydazzler
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s 1978 (Mk3)

Recommendations please for quality restoration work

Post by Bobbydazzler »

Hi, I'm thinking of a ground up body off restoration.

Can anyone recommend a decent body shop?

I'm located in West Midlands but will consider travelling to get a quality job done.

Many thanks...
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Recommendations please for quality restoration work

Post by Caprigear »

You won't get a body off restoration on a Capri as they're not built that way. A quality job isn't going to be cheap as most Capris now are hiding bodywork nightmares that will all have to be rectified properly before any paintwork is started.
I've been carrying out restoration on Capris for many years and I now have a body/paintwork guy who is top quality.
I strip down the cars then the bodyshell and panels are gently blasted to get rid of paint, filler etc then the shell is immediately primed to protect the metal.
All necessary repairs are then carried out then the shell and panels are prepared and painted.
The car then comes back to me for refitting and finishing off.
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

How much do you charge for that sort of work assuming no hidden nastyness?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I never quote, it would be financial suicide. I give an estimate based on what I can see but make it crystal clear that there will be areas that will be uncovered once the bodyshell is blasted, there always is and owners tend to have a nasty habit of not telling the whole truth hoping to get the job cheaper.
The fact is that any problems simply have to be addressed, it's pointless doing the job otherwise and every Capri is now at an age where there are problems and in any restoration body and paint will consume a large majority of the budget but if it's not done right then any other work done is pointless.
Bobbydazzler
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s 1978 (Mk3)

Post by Bobbydazzler »

Thanks Capri Gear... that was my reasoning for a complete shell dust down. I've owned cars in the past and spent a grand here and 500 there and something else crops up which makes the last outlay pointless.

I'd rather get the job done properly and well and by an enthusiast. I appreciate that this comes at a price so hence me looking for recommendations.

Probably my best bet (once I sort the clutch which I posted here the other day) is to take it for a consultation to discuss my requirements, etc.
Thanks
david656
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (F.O.R.D - Found on Roadside Dead)
BMW 323i (Daily)
Audi Quattro (soon to be sold)

Post by david656 »

If you haven't seen mine - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42977

I had a pretty extensive restoration done and the paint all over including fuel tank, struts and in engine bay + fitting 2 wings and welding/cutting out rust on every panel - £3500 which i still think is a bargin all things considered as it's a very solid car now :-)
nickmatteri
Car(s): 1984 2.8i ,daily driver ,stratos silver

Post by nickmatteri »

where in the WM are you ,i,m in Coventry and have a quality mechanic and sprayshop
Nick