GENUINE MK3 WINGS

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
aby1
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i special

GENUINE MK3 WINGS

Post by aby1 »

I've recently brought 2x mk3 wings the n/s I'm 100% sure it's a genuine Ford because it's got the 3 digi numbers on the top drip rail, Dimples along the rail, and under the front top lip it's got the 2nd skin which is like a D shape, and the wheel arch lip is slightly bent up, And lastly it's still got the Ford sticker on it.
The o/s wing is slightly different it's got the dimples on the top drip rail, but no numbers stamped on it, And the 2nd skin on the front of wing is exactly the same as the n/s ford wing, it all so does not have the the wheel arch lip bent upwards its stright like L shape, so is this wing an early pattern wing? Which looks exactly same as genuine wing but without the stamp numbers? The o/s wing metal does feel so slightly thicker then the genuine n/s wing. some pictures of the o/s/f wing which is in question.

dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Re: GENUINE MK3 WINGS

Post by dan the capri fan »

there a rare sight wish i had a pair :D
jerome-v6
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s

Post by jerome-v6 »

Hi Don't fret, one is genuine ford the other wing was made by Veng. Veng are identical to the originals they've even got the 2nd skin at front, the dimples but not the serial number or angled wheel arch lip.
They are the best aftermarket wings they ever made and to my knowledge I've never even heard one classic ford fan ever moan and say thats not an original wing. You would have to be the most anal classic ford enthusiast to turn your nose up at one of those wings. I might be wrong but I think ford might have outsourced production of their wings to Veng towards the end of capri production?
Trust me be happy you've got one and don't let the fact it doesn't have a ford stamp on it keep you up at night. People will happily pay genuine wing money for that one you've got there.
aby1
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i special

Post by aby1 »

Thankyou for your reply, when you pay good hard earned cash you all ways wonder if it's genuine, I only started to look more into it after buying the n/s wing which had the stamp and curved lip on the arch, enyway like you say it the next best wing you can get without the stamp and the curved lip.