Timing, mixtures, plugs etc... Advice pls

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Lyons
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8i 4spd Caspian Blue over Silver with pepperpots or the daily driver - a ford transit!

Timing, mixtures, plugs etc... Advice pls

Post by Lyons »

Ok so one problem leads to another, ain't it always the case?

Was having running problems as outlined in previous topics, ended up being plugs fouled on my 2.8... Also discovered a trickle of petrol coming from between the 2 plates of the fuel metering head... So here comes the latest problem...

I bought a new (2nd hand) head off evilbay and was reliably informed the metering head came from a running xr4i... Connected it all up, no leaks, all seemed well, the mixture screw within the metering head would have been set differently I assumed (correct me if I'm wrong here) so I wound my screw all the way in, counting the rotations, then wound the new one in, and unwound it to the same number of rotations... Guess what, no starty! It does, or did till I flattened the battery, try and start, without success.

Now I know nothing really about timing etc, it WAS set up when I had it serviced back in august, since then however it's had performance manifolds and stainless system fitted, without altering anything, not sure if that's relevant at all? It did devour the last set of plugs within a couple of hundred miles, black as the ace of spades they were... I will take my latest set of plugs out and set the gaps correctly (0.6mm is it?) make sure they're dry etc, any idea of where to start with the mixture just to get it running? Bearing in mind it was purring before swapping this metering head, it's had new dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs And leads too... Pissed off would be an understatement :banghead:

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated :guitar:
Mark, from St Helens - Lancashire, drive a 2.8i - 4 on the floor!

BMWcapri
Car(s): BMW V8 powered '81 Calypso

Re: Timing, mixtures, plugs etc... Advice pls

Post by BMWcapri »

To check for fuel flow/pressure, loosen an injector line banjo (one of the 6 on top of the head), get a friend crank it over and see if there's fuel jizzing out. Or better still pull out an injector (point it in a cup/tin) & do the same.

2nd hand head unit could be a bit stiff from being sat with stale fuel inside for years. Check to see if the metering flap/disk moves freely.

+ it's easy to get some of the feed/choke fuel lines transposed when swopping the metering head (done that myself...)

Good luck with it
Lyons
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8i 4spd Caspian Blue over Silver with pepperpots or the daily driver - a ford transit!

Post by Lyons »

Yea checked its getting fuel... Which it is... Well at least to the metering unit, undid a fuel line and it pissed out, so I take that as good... Thought it didn't matter which way the fuel lines go back onto the top of the metering head?

r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

Check the fuel and the return are round the right way!
Check the plunger is freely inside the meter as they can stick. The tiniest adjustment can throw these metering heads right out. You shouldn't have needed to adjust it as the xr4i is the same 2.8 cc engine.
As said loosen off one injector bolt at a time and carefully lift the float to see if there is any pressure.
When ever you adjust the head always take the Allen key out as this will affect the head
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

The 6 pipes to the injectors don't need to go back in any order. The others do!!!
Lyons
Donator
Donator

Post by Lyons »

All the pipes went back one by one, as I took them off my old one, I put them onto the new one... Will open the air box and give the underside of The head a spray with wd40...

What is the factory setting for the mixture screw?

mwillerton
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i special - Diamond White
Honda Civic 2.2d.
Yamaha Fazer 600

Post by mwillerton »

i would like to know the metering head settings as well
Lyons
Donator
Donator

Post by Lyons »

I managed to get her running, took out and gapped all my plugs, cleaned em, put me back in, had a fiddle with the air flap thingie under the top intake pipe, and it started, now it runs like a dog and won't idle at all, it will run when I rev it... Hoping this 'new' metering head ain't dodgy... So yea as mentioned, factory settings for the mixture screw would be great... Also any opinion on why mine will start no problem, but won't idle and runs like a dawg

PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

No factory settings for mixture screw I'm afraid. Only way to set it is with a gas analyser stuffed up one of the exhausts, preferably the n/side one, the o/s one will always give a higher reading due to the o/s bank of cylinders burning the crankcase fumes through the PCV valve in the rocker cover. Set it at 1.5 CO approx and you wont be far wrong. It's not possible to set it like a carb ie by ear, you must use an analyser
Lyons
Donator
Donator

Post by Lyons »

Ahhhh... Good stuff, looks like another trip to a mechanic... If set incorrectly like mine probably is, will that be the reason for her running like a dog?

PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

Could well be but get the basics right first. Also make sure that valve clearances especially the exhaust ones are correct. If they've went tight due to valve seat recession, the engine will run like a dog. Cologne engines are especially sensitive to tight clearances.
Let's know how you get on.
Lyons
Donator
Donator

Post by Lyons »

Shall do, hopefully will have someone out to look at it this weekend... I will keep the thread updated, cheers