Red lights on the dash? … think its the alternator?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
emily92
Car(s): Ford capri laser 2.0 daily driver.

Red lights on the dash? … think its the alternator?

Post by emily92 »

Hey all, i have had my 86 capri for about 2 weeks now and am just getting used to it, however now a light on the dash keeps flickering on and off, its the bottom light on the right as you look at the dash, I've noticed that it comes on and flickers when i go over 3000 rpm on the motorway, what can i do about this? i think its the alternator light not too sure though, does this mean i need a new alternator? it doesn't come on any other time just over 70mph on the motorway (3000rmp) would be very grateful if anyone knows what it means and what i can do to stop the light from coming on? or even if it is ok? i don't know

many thanks all
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Re: Red lights on the dash? … think its the alternator?

Post by r2vdh »

Check and clean the connections on the back of the alternator before going ahead and changing it. Disconnect the battery before hand first.
When the light is on 12v is being earthed through the alternator to power it. as soon as you start up the alternator will the generate 12v out and put the dash light out as it now has no where to earth it self.

The other extreme is when the ignition/Alternator bulb goes stopping any power through it to the alternator. The Alternator needs that inital 12v to excite it into working (putting out power to the car)
Hope that helps.
Wideboy
Car(s): 1978 3.0 Ghia made to look like an "S"

Post by Wideboy »

Hiya...Try giving the fuses connections a clean up..Both where the fuses sit and the spade terminals...Number 7 fuse (Right at the back) is the one that can cause issues with the charging.
Make sure you dis-connect the battery before doing anything as some of the connections are permanently live at the fuse box...Also it may pay to give all the earths a good clean up.
When I was having charging problems I also whipped the dash pod out,cleaned up the connection on the bulb holder and fitted a new bulb....You have to remember the cars have been about a long while and have had 30 years of getting damp etc and sometimes electrical stuff does corrode up
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Also make sure the fan belt is tensioned properly and not a bit slack.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Another possibility is the alternator putting out too much voltage.
The light registers a difference between the battery (about 13.5v when good) and the alternator output (about 14 volts when good) Much more of a diference will glow the bulb so at your 3000 revs, if the voltage regulator inside the alternator is on the way out it might give 15 volts or more. If this isthe fault then it will damage the battery!
A cheap multi-meter from places like Maplins or discount warehouse outlets for less than a tenner will test for battery terminal volts engine off (battery power) and battery terminal volts engine on tickove & revved up (alternator output.)
With cold weather starting to show this is the time when leccy problems appear, usually down to the battery or persistent damp.
emily92

Post by emily92 »

thanks for everyones help :) fixed now :)
Big Mike
Donator
Donator
Car(s): No Capri at the moment but will bounce back one day!

Post by Big Mike »

emily92 wrote:thanks for everyones help :) fixed now :)
Do tell us what it was! You'd be amazed how we follow these little sagas and bear them in mind for future reference should we get the same problems! :)

Mike.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Yes, why do people do that?! Either never get back with their solution at all, or post that they sorted it, but keep it to themselves!
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:
emily92

Post by emily92 »

Hey all sorry for not explaining what it was. I'm not very good at explaining. Well it was fixed but now it stays on all the time? There is the plug going into is it the alt? I dunno but it has a metal rod that keeps it secure and that was very loose so all I did was clean that plug as it had a bit of dust in it and then bend that rod into the plug to secure it.

However now the alternator light is always on. And my battery is dead so at this very minute I'm waiting for green flag to arrive to give me a jump start lol :-/
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Sounds like the alternator`s had it.
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

The moment that light comes on its not charging your battery so the car will be running on that alone. :sorry:
Sounds definately like the alternator is duff. I.e damaged connections or internal fault. :deadhorse:
emily92

Post by emily92 »

so yep its the alternator!! checked all the wiring all thats fine, been looking for a new alt this weekend but no where seems to be open on the weekends!! so i have to wait till monday and go and scout one !!
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

Where abouts in the world are you? Its probably not any help to you but there is a little shop in daventry northamptonshire called electrostart and they keep alterantors and starters ect on the shelf.
Chrome_GT
Car(s): Ford Capri 1974 MkII 2000GT
Morris Mini 1310cc
Alfa Romeo 156 V6 6spd

Post by Chrome_GT »

Sounds to me like your alternator brushes could've worn out. Cheap to replace so definitely check those yourself before investing any money into this.