Heater blower motor Q

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Heater blower motor Q

Post by andrewg1323 »

Assume theres no dramas in fitting new motors form CCI?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-mk ... 33870dd8cd
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Heater blower motor Q

Post by stevemarl »

No, I imagine fitting the motor to the heater is straightforward; wouldn`t envy anyone the dismantling involved to get the heater in & out though....
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

Be warned. The removal of the heater box is a right bugger. When they built your car they put the heater on a table and built your car around it. Its a sod. Once out you will need to seperate the two halves of the heater box. Be carfull as they are held together by little plastic and metal clips. The plastic ones are brittle and break easily and the metal ones are sharp as hell. But good luck, great feeling of satisfaction when the job is done! :goodluck:
jamezz666
Car(s): 1982 2.0 calypso

Post by jamezz666 »

i fixed my blower the other day i never replaced it i stripped all the panels out around it and the air flow tubes and got some wd40 and some pipe up into where the bearing are and gave them a good old blast and kept turning the fan with my finger tips until it free'd up. theres a link on here somewhere of how to do it 8-)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I started a thread recently on lubricating the motor whilst in place. Steve (who posted in this thread) has an ingenious way of doing so, which he described in that thread. By coincidence, in the new CCI magazine it mentions that if you look at the bulkhead, behind the engine, there is a rubber pipe held in place by a couple of screws, and on removing this you can reach in and get your fingers to the fan to give it a spin. I have not looked at this, but if that's the case then it would also be another way to get some lubricant to the motor perhaps.
meatus
Car(s): Capri 3.5 V8 (ex-2.8i Special) Daily Driver

Post by meatus »

I thought Nige would have been here with a 'click photo below' post already! This is the link to his instruction page that I found invaluable
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nige-d-smi ... icing.html
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Click photo below :|
nickmatteri
Car(s): 1984 2.8i ,daily driver ,stratos silver

Post by nickmatteri »

Hi Andrew ,as the guys have said ,Its a little sod.My tip is give yourself room to work.When I did mine i was a bit of a chubber,(a lot lighter now) but even so,I took out the parcel shelf ,centre console and passenger seat,and gear stick cos it was jabbin me in the ribs.Once the heater box is off thats the easy bit,only took a few minutes. Whole job took 7 hours but there was a lot of gaps for swearing ,fags tea and bargain hunt.
Cheersfnow Nick M
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I`m afraid if I sat down for BH that`d be me done for the day!!!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Is that because you enjoy it so much Steve, or because it sends you to sleep?! I like the show actually. I thought the heater job was easier than expected, after reading the horror stories. The Capri boot space is just the right size to lay out all the dash panels and screws, nice and neatly and in order. You might want to consider getting a whole new unit ready to drop in, as opposed to swapping the motor. I got one from Tickover, about £70 I think, guaranteed tested and working. Only the dash panels and glovebox were removed to get at mine. Don't forget to undo the pipes at the bulkhead, or it will never come out.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Nah, love Bargain Hunt - it`s just once I lose the momentum..... ;)

The thing that scares me about that job is the potential to break little clips, snap wires, scratch & break trim, plus I actually have NO rattles or squeaks AT ALL at the mo, but I`m damn sure I would if I stripped all that lot out & refitted it !! And one thing I *HATE* is that annoying vibration or rattle that you can never pin point.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I like to take my time with any job that involves the dash out. For example, one evening I will slowly take all the panels out, line them up nicely somewhere (maybe the boot!), with corresponding screws/clips, etc. and then call it a night. The day after I may spend some time doing the job that is required, then leave it at that. And the next day, carefully put everything back. I hate that feeling of rushing to finish something, things do go wrong then! It's a different matter if you need use the car of course.
David
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1977 Capri II 2.0 GL

Post by David »

pbar wrote:By coincidence, in the new CCI magazine it mentions that if you look at the bulkhead, behind the engine, there is a rubber pipe held in place by a couple of screws, and on removing this you can reach in and get your fingers to the fan to give it a spin. I have not looked at this, but if that's the case then it would also be another way to get some lubricant to the motor perhaps.
Would like to have a go at this, anyone got a scan?

Fixed my squeaky steering wheel and pedals yesterday so blower is next on the list of annoying noises to eliminate (also don't want it to seize, obviously)...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

This is the definitive description, including complete removal at the end:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nige-d-smi ... icing.html

Or there`s a very fiddly way which I used in the past:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44336&hilit=motor+lub