Blower Fan- Lubricating Whilst In Place

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Blower Fan- Lubricating Whilst In Place

Post by pbar »

Recently, my blower fan has, on occasion gave a little whine as it stopped and/or has refused to start on low power uless I start in on the high speed first. In my experience, when fans do this they can be crying out for some lubrication. Has anyone found a method to do so, with it still in the car and without dismantling the dash? Just wondering if there is a way to get at it and with a length of tubing/pipe or something. I have a spare heater box which needs a new motor, so I can buy one and get that ready to swap over if failure is imminent, but thought I'd ask first.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Blower Fan- Lubricating Whilst In Place

Post by stevemarl »

I did this myself last year.... There are a couple of holes plus there`s a big crossheaded screw on the bulkhead, (holds an earth lead?? ) which allow `some` access. I managed to get a tiny led on a lead through another hole to light area, and used some very thin copper tube (c 2-3mm) through this screw hole connected to a tin of spray oil via extremely thin silicone tubing (so it doesn`t tug when you press to spray) It`s a fiddly job but it`s got lub to the right places.
There is another way detailed here:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nige-d-smi ... icing.html

BTW - I thought you had the motor replaced recently?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Blower Fan- Lubricating Whilst In Place

Post by pbar »

You have a good memory Steve, yes, I bought a complete unit from Tickover, as my blower was not working, although the heater was fine. It was over a year ago now, that was. And it has been fine until a few days ago when I had the symptons as mentioned. I still have my original box so I can always buy a brand new motor and get it ready and swap it over myself. But your answer was just what I was looking for, I intend to try that first, thanks. I have known similar fans like this to behave in this way, and lubrication certainly makes a big difference.