choke phasing / vacuum pulldown

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
sherlock
Car(s): 1981 Capri 2.0 GL which will be a daily drive and an Aprilia Tuono 1000

choke phasing / vacuum pulldown

Post by sherlock »

Has anyone actually attempted the choke phasing and vacuum pulldown as described in the haynes manual on page 84.
I had a go today. In the description it says (vacuum pulldown) to hold the chokes closed with an elastic band and manually push the diaphragm upto its stop from inside the housing. The illustration shows them using a small screwdriver to do this. On mine there is a small clip holding the diaphragm rod in place making it impossible to do what it says. I didnt want to start stripping it down to remove the clip cos I know it'll break.
It then goes onto say make any adjustments using the screw in the end of the housing. But i can screw this all the way in and all the way out and it makes no difference whatsoever.

So onto the choke phasing. It says to hold the throttle partly open and screw the fast idle screw onto the upper part of the cam. Ok done that, the screw is all the way in.
Then release the throttle to hold the cam in this position.......er nope not even close.

So ok maybe im reading it wrong but to me it just reads gobbledegook, may as well be in chinese.

Has anyone had any success that can give some proper directions.