HELP! Major Vibration - Is it the rack?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

HELP! Major Vibration - Is it the rack?

Post by Sonic »

Hi Guys.

I've spent most of this summer working on the front suspension. Replaced all the bushes, new TCA's and a new top mount (although this hasnt sorted my problem)

I had her on a 50 mile cruise last sunday and all was well with the world.

On the way to get her aligned on Saturday, in a left hand bend she started shaking terrbly, like something just broke. Then on the straight and following bends it was fine. So I put this down to some alignment issue.
Then on the way back, on a similar left hand bend the same thing only it was worse. I nearly had to stop.

So I went straight home and jacked it up to see if something had broken or a new part had failed.

Only thing I noticed on the drivers side wheel has a bit of movement with a light knocking noise. This was coming from the Track Rod Arm joint that goes into the rack behind the gaiter.
With this being the only movement I think that at certain speed and at a certain steering angle this starts of the vibration.

I don't know very much about powered steering racks, I've never ever had bother with them. Up until saturday mine has been fine. Does this play at that joint means my rack is fooked? Or can you get a replacement track rod arm and joint?

This has been a real downer as I done a lot of work with very little driving.

I replaced the top mount on this side due to a knocking noise coming from the strut but I know now that my shock may be gone. That may be a follow up question about bilstein inserts.

Need some wisdom about the rack though as I really want to get it sorted this week. I'm running out of summer fast.
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Re: HELP! Major Vibration - Is it the rack?

Post by Swishy »

Does sound like the rack has had it (had one go in the same way before myself - it also started running the tyre off at the wobbly side) - I'd suggest changing the rack asap.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Wheel balance ok?
Track rod ends first. They are more likely to go.
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Post by Swishy »

drivers side wheel has a bit of movement with a light knocking noise. This was coming from the Track Rod Arm joint that goes into the rack behind the gaiter.
If there's play here AND knocking - it is the likley culprit -

however, as also suggested - double check on anything that hasn't yet been changed.

And check for excess play on the wheel bearings.
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

And one more thing, though I'm not saying this is the cause of your vibration, but I would consider changing the other side top mount as well as suspension components are always worth changing in pairs.

As for tracking, only do this last after you have replaced everything. I had a bad wheel wobble at about 1 o clock on the steering, getting the tracking right helped it no end.

Rich
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Post by Sonic »

I like your thinking on the tyre balance. Although the steering wheel is rock solid at high speeds.

The slack knocking noise is right behind the gaiter in the steering rack which makes me think its that.

I don't know much about them but would there be a flexible joint for the arm going into the rack at this point. Surely this part is available if people recondition them.
Doormandean
Car(s): Satin Black 2litre injection pinto :)

Post by Doormandean »

In this situation, is it worth changing the steering rack mounting bushes or is it best to go for a while new rack?