Mysterious Vibration......

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
280Brooklands
Car(s): Capri 280 Brooklands, (Summer months only)
Nissan Qashqai (Company Car)

Mysterious Vibration......

Post by 280Brooklands »

Morning :)

I Have a bit of a vibration (this is an understatement) when braking with my 280.

On a brake tester there is little to no imbalance accross the front and no warping of any kind or siezed calipers etc etc. I changed the front discs and pads to EBC drilled and grooved because initially I thought I had a warped disc......I didnt!

Furthermore, I have changed both front track control arms, as I thought the outer bushes where the anti roll bar mounts to the arms were perhaps worn. This made no difference. Changing the struts has also made no difference, and the track rod ends have no play whatsoever....... :swear:

Its worse with the wheel slightly off the straight and the harder you brake from a cruising speed the worse the vibration is....the whole car shakes!!!! and you feel it through the steering wheel badly! :banghead:

Im starting to think perhaps it's coming from the rack or the column, but theres no play in anything, and it only does it when braking. The only thing I haven't changed suspension wise is the Anti-roll bar D bushes but they're absolutely fine, and don't have any play.

Whilst its not stopping be driving it, it is becoming annoying. The only thing I have noticed is on the rear the Anti tramp arms bushes are sitting forward, and so probably need replaced, but I wouldnt have thought this would have given me a vibration through the steering wheel when braking.

Any advice much appreciated! :)

Stuart
Sean007
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6 laser 1986
Ford capri 2.8i 1986
Ford capri 2.0s 5spd 1985

Re: Mysterious Vibration......

Post by Sean007 »

It could be one of your wheels? Try changing the back ones to the front? Or a weights fallen of the wheel? I know it would most likely do it all the time if the wheel was bent but it could be bent very slightly so you don't feel it when driving normally but it amplifies itself through braking?
Worth a shot I'm sure.
Sean
280Brooklands

Post by 280Brooklands »

Fair comment Sean, I hadn't really given that a thought although they have been refurbished by Pristine so I really hope they're not buckled!! I should maybe give it a go for all the time it takes to swap them over. Could be a tyre too perhaps although as you say, and I agree that if it was wheel or tyre you would expect it to do it all the time.

Thanks for the reply :)
mooneyj

Post by mooneyj »

The anti roll bar d bushes may be at fault even if there is no play. You would expect it to pull to one side.

My 2.8 pulls to one side even though the bushes have passed endless MOT's and the brakes are fine.

Like sean says front to rear the wheels , even if it is just to rule it out.

Let us know how you get on
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

make sure the tca bolts that go through the crossmember are really tight.
280Brooklands

Post by 280Brooklands »

cheers for the replies Gents I will get onto this! :)