Roller Top Mount Problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Roller Top Mount Problem

Post by Sonic »

Hi Guys,

I've noticed a thumping noise getting more louder, despite the best efforts of the volume on the radio.

It's happening over bumps etc or when I'm doing 10mph and I hit the brake, I get a thump.

So finally did some bouncing up and down on the wing with the bonnet open and noticed, not only is there a lot of play in the top mount of the shock, it's sitting higher than the passenger side. See photo's below for reference.

I assumed it was some rubber insert at the top of shock. The struts being one of the few things I've never taken apart on the car.

I emailed Tickover and they said, that there is no direct replacement and I'd have to buy a roller bearing kit.

I've a bit of work to do on the brakes etc on that side so need to know if I am going to have to start dismantling the whole strut first before doing anything else..

Any you folks had any issues like I'm having and how did you solve it?

Good Side

Bad Side
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Re: Roller Top Mount Problem

Post by rich_jc »

I've always read about this happening but have never actually seen it. Yes, the rubber mount has perished and is no longer supporting the car very well on that side. I would imagine your steering is a little off as well?

As for replacements, I always assumed you could get new oem mounts. Roller tops are not very cheap, and can affect ride height from the experiences I've read on here.

Call a few other capri breakers and see if there are any good standards mounts around (which I'm sure there are).

Rich