Pulling to left after TCA replacement

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Pulling to left after TCA replacement

Post by Sonic »

Hi Folks,

I had to change my drivers side TCA on my 2.8 as the anti roll bar to tca bush so worn the bar was almost out. Of course this was last Saturday evening and my MOT was that Monday.

I was able to get a new TCA with rubber bushes Sunday although the rest of the car has Poly-bushes. Beggars cant be choosers eh.

Getting the Anti Roll back in was a bit of a pig. Had to wrap a ratchet strap around the TCA on the far side to pull the new one into line. But got it sorted.

Now the car is pulling badly to the left. The steering wheel wants to be at 11 o'clock when driving.

Have I buggered something or does it just need tracked? Wasn't expecting this issue as the car was driving straight and through.

The car past MOT but guy said that the new TCA anti roll bush looks small, but it was brand new out of a packet.

I might still refurb the old TCA with Poly's as its an original Ford one. It needs a ball joint though.

Old TCA and bush

New Arm
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: Pulling to left after TCA replacement

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi,

It would be best if both sides of the car had identical bushes of the same age.

If you have replaced the TCA then you will need to get the steering tracked.

Might be slightly different TCA's if one is original ford and the other is after market so again would be good if both sides matched.

Hope you get it sorted.
Sonic
1.6 LS

Post by Sonic »

Thanks Ghia,

I just thought it was weird the car pulling so far to the left. I thought I broke it.

I know a guy with a proper rig for tracking a car. I'll have to call in with him.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Before getting it tracked you must get each side balance so they work the same under running conditions.
The idea of having Toe-in on rear wheel drive cars is that the front of the wheels are nearer each other than the backof them when parked but when driving, due to road resistance the front wheels drag backwards in relation to the rest of the car and are thus pretty much straight ahead. On front wheel drive cars they are set at Toe-out so that as they are driving the car they are actually trying to pull themselves back under the car (but the car goes forward) this movement backwards in relation to the car pulls them straight.
If youhave one poly bush and one rubber they will act differently and you'll never get it to go well.
Best to get a replacement set of poly bushes and fit them but first check the other original arm for age/wear! The arms can't be fitted with new balljoints, they are throw-away items. Try to get another arm (opposite handed obviously) from the same company as your other new one.
The you can bg a favor from your mate but if you go now you'll need to go back again & he won't appreciate his time being wasted.
Click photo below for setting the tracking yourself to get it somewhere near true.
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Ghia15 wrote:Might be slightly different TCA's if one is original ford and the other is after market so again would be good if both sides matched.
100% agree.

First MOT I ever took the car for & it failed on a ball joint. The TCAs were Ford originals at that point, & the garage only changed the one side. It threw the tracking out by a country mile.

As Nige says, I’d recommend changing both arms with matching bushes, then getting it tracked up. Then you’ll know it’s all sorted.
Sonic
1.6 LS

Post by Sonic »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do the other side to have them the same.

Before I do that, the MOT guy said that the anti roll bush looked small in the new arm and that there was play in the wheel. Again this was brand new out of the packet.

That has me thinking should I get a replacement bush for it, although from the pics it looks fine.

I think I'm kinda forced into getting a rubber one to match the new side. Can anyone tell if that TCA is a Heavy Duty rubber one like rally design?

Or would I be just better getting a new set of poly ones?
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

As has been said, it is best practice to always replace suspension/braking components in pairs. I had both my ball joints replaced in-situ on my 318, and it still threw the tracking way off.

Rich