Fitting of Electric Aerial - How?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosso Russ
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser, Rosso Red, 39,000 Miles

Fitting of Electric Aerial - How?

Post by Rosso Russ »

I managed to get a NOS Genuine Ford early 80s Electric Aerial for my 2.8i, question is, how do you gain access to the inside wing to fit it? Can someone please run through how it is fitted please? Its original one broke a few years ago and wasn't replaced, just removed by the previous owner and the hole neatly covered up with a small bit black tape, so currently there is no aerial to remove. It would be nice to think there was a wee access hatch or something in the wheel arch but have yet to look. The Haynes doesn't mention it at all!!

Thanks in advance folks :)

Kind Regards

Russell.
Russell A Macfarlane
Fife, Scotland
1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser, Rosso Red, 39,000 Miles
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Fitting of Electric Aerial - How?

Post by stevemarl »

I believe the 2,8s had an additional `plate` at the rear of the wheelarch to stop spray going up back of inner wing, lesser models didn`t have these; basically on the N.S., the right hand (as you look at it) of the rear arch is actually a bolted on plate, remove that & you have access to aerial. The grommets etc on the inner wing will presumably be in place still.
I imagine the plate will be held by a bolt/screw midway up at either side? Someone will tell you....
Rosso Russ

Post by Rosso Russ »

stevemarl wrote:I believe the 2,8s had an additional `plate` at the rear of the wheelarch to stop spray going up back of inner wing, lesser models didn`t have these; basically on the N.S., the right hand (as you look at it) of the rear arch is actually a bolted on plate, remove that & you have access to aerial. The grommets etc on the inner wing will presumably be in place still.
I imagine the plate will be held by a bolt/screw midway up at either side? Someone will tell you....
Superb Steve that has been a big help thank you - very much appreciated indeed. I shall report back :)
Russell A Macfarlane
Fife, Scotland
Rosso Russ

Post by Rosso Russ »

Got this fitted yesterday - with many thanks :) The access panel is a doddle to come off - just 5 screws. :)
Russell A Macfarlane
Fife, Scotland
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Just to check, you do know there should be a strip of metal (a bit like meccano but much heavier) which braces the aerial to the inner wing? It occurred to me that it may not still be there?