Lighting issues?? Driving me crazy!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jazzleigh20
Car(s): Ford Capri Mk111 1.6 Laser 1987

Lighting issues?? Driving me crazy!

Post by jazzleigh20 »

Hi Guys

Im pretty new to having a Capri, and Im trying to learn by doing everything myself although a couple of issues have got me baffled!

1) passenger side rear lights not working, ive changed the bulbs and the fuse but nothing seems to be working.

2) Instrument panel lights are out, Ive changed the fuse for these too but with no luck, Although my high beam and handbreak light work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I dont want to go snooping about the electrics without knowing what to look for!

Jazz

xxx
wayne smith
Car(s): just found 1

Re: Lighting issues?? Driving me crazy!

Post by wayne smith »

clean earths up try that
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Post by Adlen85 »

Instrument panel could be a duff circuit board or even just blown bulbs, I'm guessing you haven't taken the dash pod out yet?

The illumination is notoriously crap though, once you have it out get the plastic covers off and I'd recommend doing an LED conversion. Not the hardest thing in the world to do if you want to do it yourself but if not, I'll do a reconditioned bowl with LED conversion for £25 including the return postage.

As for the tail lights, they earth through the screws holding the thing in place, if they're a bit rusty they won't get a good connection and I think it can be duffed by over tightening them too.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

jazzleigh20 wrote:1) passenger side rear lights not working, ive changed the bulbs and the fuse but nothing seems to be working
power comes across from offside with feed wire over offside wheelarch area from car front to rea, offside works then nearside should. Usually check bulb first then earth.
Get a multi-meter electrical tester from local discount store / Halfords etc. A few quid will save you wasted hours of wondering & thinking & fiddling.
jazzleigh20 wrote:2) Instrument panel lights are out
check variable-resistor black knob to the right of the radio, this is the clock light dimmer. Agree about removing blue bulb covers -much better.
dontknowmuch
Car(s): Previous 2 litre laser
current 2.8i special, ongoing restoration

Post by dontknowmuch »

I had very similar problem. As someone has stated earlier, the rear light clusters can cause problems if they have been screwed too tight. Mine were tightened too much after a bit of spraying, this cracked the plastic causing a screw to earth out. Take the rear clsuters off and check for a split in the plastic near the screws.
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

I hadthis problem. i found it got worse. does you altinator light come on dim with the indicators? I would try replacing the body earth straps. thats what cured mine