Radio repairs and testing

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jerome-v6
Car(s): ford capri 3.0s

Radio repairs and testing

Post by jerome-v6 »

Hi Guys i've just picked up an original digital radio, like such:

The guy I got it from says it needs a new drive belt and the cassette door/flap is loose as anything, can anyone recommend anyone to repair it or does anyone dabble in repairs on here? Now the cheeky part is it's untested and it has the original connections on the back:
And my capri has had a new custom wiring loom done on it so it has the standard iso connectors:
It would be just a case of of getting an iso terminal block and pluging it in and maybe splicing the speaker wires in
Do you know if anyone could do said repairs and see if it works on the old wiring before I go to all the effort of soldering and taking the fascia panel just to find it doesn't work! Ofcourse money would cross palms!
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Re: Radio repairs and testing

Post by Adlen85 »

Never done an original Capri stereo but I've done plenty of cassette players and car stereos.

If you want to post it my way I'll have a play with it, do what I can and send it back for the cost of parts and expenses and a couple of pints :beer:
jerome-v6

Post by jerome-v6 »

I tinkered around with it last night and was able to access the drive belt and got it out and an old posting on the forum says it takes a 66mm drive belt so i'll try that first but thankyou very much for your offer im just always daunted by electrics. Does anyone know if the door/flap on these should be so loose?
vp-reynolds
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (Daily Driver)

Post by vp-reynolds »

you can get some crimp on male iso plugs for the stereo to convert the whole system to iso easily
i can draw you up an easy wiring diagram and point you to ebay and the connectors youd need
vp-reynolds
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (Daily Driver)

Post by vp-reynolds »

the door flap should be located with a spring and carry some resistance id bet its come loose or it has rusted and lost its spring capability its a very small part and requires disassembly of the front facia to access
jerome-v6

Post by jerome-v6 »

Thanks for that, that would be great if you could do that, yeah the springs gone so theres no resistance, for the wiring i was gonna get a ISO terminal block to plug into the car loom then get a pc2-16-4 adapter lead to plug into the back of the stereo for the battery, arial earth etc. and crimp the leads together. For the speakers i was just gonna put some spade termals on them from the ISO terminal block and put them on the speaker points on the back of the tape deck. Sound good or is that a long winded way of doing it?
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Post by Adlen85 »

If you're handy with a soldering iron I've got a salvaged ISO block you can have, that's what I was going to use if you wanted me to fix it for you.

Just splice it in with the wires hanging out of the back or rewire it, soldering the ISO block's wires onto the circuit board inside the stereo.
PSH001
Car(s): 1981 Capri Ghia 2.0.

Post by PSH001 »

Can anyone tell me what the red cable coming out of the back of the radio is? I have one the same.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

PSH001 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the red cable coming out of the back of the radio is? I have one the same.
If you mean the red wire on the far left bottom of the radio, and without taking mine out again I think from memory it might be for the fader....?? Not 100% sure but if you can specify a little more I'm sure there are more qualified people out there than I to tell you,

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
PSH001

Post by PSH001 »

It's the red wire shown in this diagram coming out of the back of the radio. It disappears into a hole in the back about halfway along at the bottom.

I am basically trying to identify the switched live feed and the permanent live feed? Everything else I am OK with.

Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Red is permanent, yellow is switched.
PSH001

Post by PSH001 »

So just to clarify. The red wire coming out of the centre of the radio (not the one on the connector block) is the permanent feed?
nnick1968
Car(s): Tickford

Post by nnick1968 »

I'm having a clear out and come across my old radio,what's the best way to test it's working as I've no longer got the car? Thanks