dim dials

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

dim dials

Post by c.turff »

Hi there. ive got a mk3 1.6 and the dials are very dim. the dimmer switch works fine but the guages are barley visable at night. any thoughts? h cheers
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: dim dials

Post by Ghia15 »

A common proble with carpi's and 80's fords.

You can get a white dial kit which helps the visibility at night, you will need to remove the dials from the binacle to do this. While the binacle is stripped you can remove the coloured lenses as they will have clouded over, reducing the light through them.

If you remove the lenses and still want to keep coloured light then coloured bulbs or an LED strop kit can be used.

Somone used an LED strip kit with a dial kit to great effect not long ago on here.

Apart from these options there is not a great deal you can do to improbve the ammount of light on the dials at night.

Doing the dial kit is about an hours work once out of the car and removing the coloured lenses takes mere seconds.
c.turff
Car(s): Ford capri mk3 1,6 laser. Daily driver ( LPG converted )

Post by c.turff »

Can replacment new coloured lenses be found?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just removing those bulb covers is often all that's needed and is all that some people choose to do.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Replacement lenses are not available for the instruments.

You either can remove them and have white light on the dials or put in whatever coulour bulbs you want.

I have a combination of blue LED bulbs for the auxilary dials and white on the main dials with a white dial kit. Looks awesome.
PeterG2.8
Donator
Donator
Car(s): "Bertha":- Under reconstruction.
1.6 Laser :- Daily Driver.
Peugeot E7 XS:- Cash box .... Kerrching!!!!!!

Post by PeterG2.8 »

I hate white dials :swear:
mellow-yellow
Car(s): 2.0 Laser used by the BBC and is used every day.

Post by mellow-yellow »

Here you go..
White ones fitted

Brushed Aluminium ones fitted

Ebay link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290818366923? ... 1586.l2649

:cool: :cool:
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Post by MiniMan »

Any one know if these bulbs will fit behind the dash

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-Su ... 2c7b93b723

they look the part
(sorry to revive an old post wasn't worth opening a new one)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

No, the instrument bulbs are wedge base, 3w, those are front sidelight bulbs (only blue.)

You need something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEN-X-10-HA ... 1e83a8c4bf
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Also, if you do decide to change the bulbs/instrument lighting then be wary of anything which emits more heat than the standard bulbs do. Thirty year old frail plastics may not take too kindly to that.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

be wary of anything which emits more heat than the standard bulbs
Yes indeed ! I had a great idea once - just stick 5 w bulbs in, double the brightness and they can`t be that much hotter can they?? Long story short, they melted and burnt the blue covers - to the extent the clear acrylic lens cover was smoke damaged (and wouldn`t clean) fortunately this was long ago when you could still get a new one from Ford....
MiniMan
Car(s): 1.6 Ford Capri Laser, 1986, Diamond white with half white leather recaro interior

Post by MiniMan »

So in short, I need to make sure the bulbs are 3w and no more to avoid damaging the dash fascia

Im thinking of switching the color to blue? Has anyone done this before? I currently have half white leather recaros with white dial kit and think this will finish the interior off nicely.

Thanks Steve and others for your advice! Just check out the link cant find the 3w bulbs in blue!! only red and green, going to email them unless anyone can recommend somewhere else.

Also how many bulbs in total make up the dash cluster?
MiniMan

Post by MiniMan »

AndyPandy56
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (1985)

Post by AndyPandy56 »

A few years I had the instrument binacle out from the dash and replaced all the bulbs with like for like Ford items. As a result I can now read all the guages at night without any problem !. For some reason though, the illumination for the four smaller guages remains green, whilst the speedo & rev counter is mostly white !.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

MiniMan wrote:Will these do the job?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/504C-12v-3w-C ... 35d151ff0b
Yep, those are the ones. It`s worth mentioning that if you can find LED bulbs - (but they MUST have side illumination, not just a narrow beam out the end!!) they do work well. They emit blue light only, whereas a blue bulb just blocks all the other colours (red, yellow, green etc etc) so you`re only getting a fraction of your 3w of energy coming out as light.)
AndyPandy56 wrote:For some reason though, the illumination for the four smaller guages remains green, whilst the speedo & rev counter is mostly white !.
That`s how mine went when it melted the blue covers, it was brighter but grey - there was a hole burnt through.... maybe your top ones have done the same or been removed at some point??

Oh, and there are 4 bulbs, 2at top and one each side. Somebody asked?
280Brooklands
Car(s): Capri 280 Brooklands, (Summer months only)
Nissan Qashqai (Company Car)

Post by 280Brooklands »

AndyPandy56 wrote:A few years I had the instrument binacle out from the dash and replaced all the bulbs with like for like Ford items. As a result I can now read all the guages at night without any problem !. For some reason though, the illumination for the four smaller guages remains green, whilst the speedo & rev counter is mostly white !.
This has happened to mine too!! I can only assume that with age the coloured film off the inside has lost it's tint and has turned white.
Toecutter
Car(s): 1973 Mk1 (Facelift) Capri - 2.0 Pinto on Bike carbs

Post by Toecutter »

I installed these for the dial lights, multi directional bulb, I also got rid of the blue bulb covers and covered the surfaces adjacent to the bulb in the clocks casing with reflective foil while I had the clocks apart.
Light output is perfect and a nice deep blue.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-New-Xenon-5 ... 23352d39ee