Pinto EFI Wiring

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Pinto EFI Wiring

Post by Ghia15 »

Hi, I am in the process of wiring up my EFI system.

Can anyone gshow me a picture of the wires coming from the brown relay and where they connect to please.
The brown relay as shown in this post in the third window down.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33254&p=221357

Also has anyone got a diagram for what each of the pins on the ECU plug does.

My system is a 1991 transit EFI system with a MAF, Lambda and MAP sensors.

Cheers
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: Pinto EFI Wiring

Post by Ghia15 »

Right I took some pictures to help explain what i mean.

Right in the second picture the wires that are already connected are the, white and brown and red and black (looks completely black but there is a deep red in there) at the bottom of the photo.

The middle white and red wires are unconnected.

I know where the thick red and black wire at the top of the picture goes but not the thin one.

Any help will be much appriciated as the sooner I get this done the sooner I can use the car. Want to maximise the use of it as I am going traveling for a year in jan and I also miss driving a manual car.

Thanks all.
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Wiring diagram, needs annotation:

Photo of a loom:

Paydirt!!!:

Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Cheers,

Hopefully can get it sorted out this week.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Could you tell me what component F is please.

It is the brown relay im still struggling with but have identified the other components and cross referencing with a sierra manual.

Some of the wires are different colours but im confident everythingis as it should be.

What does the brown relay, Component N do?

Cheers
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

F is the coil.

N is the power relay.

L is the fuel pump relay.

HTH!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Brill,

Got the fuel pump relay all wired up as it should be,

Now I know that is the coil that will help me wire up the main power relay.

Sorry bout all the questions, but wiring is a big headache for me. lol.

p.s What does HTH mean?

Thanks
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Ok.

Main power relay connections.

I have pins 37 and 57 from the ECU are connected to Pin 86 on the relay.

Pin 30 on the relay is the main power from the battery.

What should pin 85 and 87 connect to on the car.

From the wiring one should be an earth and one should come from the coil negative.

On my power relay pin 85 is connectd to pin 22 on the ECU.

thanks
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

I've used my Granada manual to verify the wiring.

Just in case the Granny/ Sierra ever differed.

I strongly suspect my diagram has the relays coloured in wrongly...

GHIA15 wrote: Main power relay connections.

I have pins 37 and 57 from the ECU are connected to Pin 86 on the relay. According to Granny, ECU37 & ECU57 run to powerrelay30 and is spliced to fuelpumprelay86, and then onto another splice shared with each injector all via black wires

Pin 30 on the relay is the main power from the battery. Fuelpumprelay30 feeds straight from the battery via a thick red wire, it is spliced into powerrelay87

What should pin 85 and 87 connect to on the car. Powerrelay85 goes to ECU20 and is spliced to earth. Powerelay87 thick red wire to battery as above. Fuelpumprelay85 goes to ECU22 Fuelpumprelay87 runs to the fuelpump +ive terminal via a black/ red wire

From the wiring one should be an earth and one should come from the coil negative.

On my power relay pin 85 is connectd to pin 22 on the ECU. According to the Granny, ECU22 runs to fuelpumprelay85 via a blue/ red wire

Hope This Helps
I'm off to read my Sierra manual now...
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Cheers, will go and check my system to what you said.

I am working off of a sierra manual but it is a 1991 Transit system so I think things are a little different.

The Main Power relay on this was in position C in the fuesbox not position D.

Also the fuel pump relay was red not yellow, but have that all wired up, just the power relay that is causing me this agro. lol.
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

:xd:

That explains it! I was going to suggest you had either an ABS or auto box relay there!!!

TBH, most of the relays are fairly standard switches, so even if it was a rear heated screen relay or similar, working out the pins whould still get you the right result.

I'd suggest initially making the links with bullet connectors- that way you can change them over if they are wrong.

Also, if checking continuity it is best to totally disconnect the ecu, sometimes the whatnot in there allows a signal to pass in a way that would throw out your testing.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Right, Just an update.

I tried to fire him up today.

Fuel pump came on on the ignition and I got no leaks from the fuel system.

I corrected the fuel pump wiring as I had it wired in to suck the fuel from the engine to the tank. woops.

The engine turns over a little slow but probs the raised compresion, still a fairly decent turnover.

Problem is I have no spark and have a feeling the injectors are not working, will whip the plugs out and spin it over and see if there is any fuel there in a bit.

How do I check that the ECU is getting power, yes I nearly forgot to install it in my excitment, I checked that I had wired in all of the earths and the wires I had cut during install, will double check.

I still think that the power relay is wired up wrong, but unsure.

Invalidboy, which relay should be wired into the ignition only live? the red one or the brown one?

I think my wiring differs to the sierra and granny as this is a late pinto system out of a 1991 transit.

I have a volt meter so can check that but do not have the ford style 3 pin diagnostic tool.

Where could I get one of these 3 pin diagnostic tools?

Cheers
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Gunsons made the three pin tools. Halfords used to sell them.

You can test with an LED. It will flash and you count the flashes.

Sounds like an earth issue to me.

"I still think that the power relay is wired up wrong, but unsure.

Invalidboy, which relay should be wired into the ignition only live? the red one or the brown one?

I think my wiring differs to the sierra and granny as this is a late pinto system out of a 1991 transit."

I've had a drink, so I need some reflection (sobering up time) before I can answer with certainty!
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Have you wired in point E to the Capri's ignition coil feed from the ignition switch?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Im not sure about point E.

Will Take a print out of that last post into the garage with me and try and figure it out with the wiring diagrams.

Will get an LED or the three pin diagnostic tool.

Anyone know a website that lists the fault codes that go with the morse code from the LED?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Right,

I have connected the green wire from the ignition module to the original loom on the inner wing and used the plug with 2 green wires from the original loom to the coil positive.

Have found 2 earths not connected up so in the process of connecting them and then will double check that there are no loose conections and report back.

I have a spare module to try if needed.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Right,

I dont think there is any power getting to the ECU.

I ran a new earth around the engine bay and spliced onto that, checked it and it has a good 12+V through it.

Which wires on the ECU plug supply the power to the ECU, Is it the two black and deep red wires?

Cheers
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Right,

I have now got power to the ECU on pins 37 and 57.

I have wired up the power relay of pin 30 and 87 as the main power to the ECU through the relay switch ending in pins 37 and 57.

I have used the brown and white wire earthed to the common earth wire I ran around the engine bay.

I have used the ignition live that is underneath the headlight relay to power the relay.

Going to get the battery tray ordered and the wire to link the battery in the boot to the car.

The will go and get hole saw to cut the hole in the bulkhead for the ECU plug
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

I have just given a start up ago and still have no spark.

Will check to see if the injectors are firing as they should.

Have checked the earths to the ECU and all the connectors to the different components, they are all good.

ECU is getting power.

Going to try and find an LED toplug it into the diagnostic port but have no conversion from the morse code to the fault.

Im really confused now, I know it was never going to be 100% plain sailing but not sure where the problem lies atm.

Cheers
dorriscapri
Car(s): 1978 mkIII 1.6L. I got the car as i was born in 78 myself i have heavery moded the car 205 block,2.8 frountlegs vented drilled and grooved discs, atles with lsd on rear, singel leaf rear springs, 2.8 frount rear anti roll bars, poly bushed, shark gray recaro, 6 clock dash, dash top and interia trim from a 280, kat frount and rear bumbers wheal tail mondaeo st24 16" 4spoke wheels, EFI, 4 branch manifold 2" pipe to 3" tailpipe, bulitt mirrors paint color aircraft blue. Came of the road end october2011 going back on road for its 35 birthday.

Post by dorriscapri »

sorry not trying to hijack your post but i too am trying to wire up my EFI. by very good luck i found n.o.s engine bay wireing loom for pinto EFI has all gromets exstra. Now the kit i got had 2 looms when i got it one choped to pises and one very ropey looking. It also came as electronic ignition convertion as mine was still on points. I mocked up the new loom a few weeks ago. There was no plug for the dizy and i could not work out were the injecors get there timeing mark from. i had the wrong dizy found on on ebay and know it all fits the electronic ignition control moduel has been replased by the unit mounted on the dizy. i have been abel to get hold of an origal A3 wireing diagram for a seirra. all the plugs seem to match those depited in diagram. but i am strugling as how to get a switched feed to the ecu as i dont think that it should be live all the time :? . there is a 5 pin plug the same as that behind the manifold mounted near n/s headlight im hopeing this is the feed for the dash. it also has one long wire from in side the car to the boot put no gromet to go out to the pump. i think im well on way to geting it runnig put have realy hit a brick wall with the acselerater cabel and need some advice here. i am trying to track down exaserly what the loom is for from the part no on the loom the part no on the bag was wroung and might exspline why it was never fitted. as for posting pics on here i dont have a clue but my facebook page has loads of pics of dorris. Ross Lansom is my name feel free to add me and look at pics send me masage when you add me. also any advise would bee greatly apsheeated