Pinto EFI Wiring

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Re: Pinto EFI Wiring

Post by Ghia15 »

An update,

Found some points that i need to check over but everything seems to be connected up correctly and has good continuity throughout the circuit.

I am going to check all of the earths individually but happy they are good.

The only thing I found that could be the problem is the wire going to pin 30 on the ECU has a says it is an input wire, 0-1v to allow the car to start if the auto box is in neutral, 11-14v if the auto box is in gear so the car wont start.

This has a constant 4.5v on it which I would assume would not let the engine run.

The engine and components used came out of a manual transit so dont know why this would be a problem.

Will go and check all my other queries and eliminate them and report back.

I did whip a plug out and the bore has no fuel so the ecu is not injecting or sparking atm.
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Oooooh! this one is a dilly of a pickle!!!

The wire to pin 30 must come from somewhere. What is it attached to?
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
dorriscapri
Car(s): 1978 mkIII 1.6L. I got the car as i was born in 78 myself i have heavery moded the car 205 block,2.8 frountlegs vented drilled and grooved discs, atles with lsd on rear, singel leaf rear springs, 2.8 frount rear anti roll bars, poly bushed, shark gray recaro, 6 clock dash, dash top and interia trim from a 280, kat frount and rear bumbers wheal tail mondaeo st24 16" 4spoke wheels, EFI, 4 branch manifold 2" pipe to 3" tailpipe, bulitt mirrors paint color aircraft blue. Came of the road end october2011 going back on road for its 35 birthday.

Post by dorriscapri »

right iv looked throw my wireing diagram for the sierra pin 30 gos to auto box relay pin no 85 on relay and then same wire code gose to gear selectoer wire code 31B-30 and should be brown with white trace. relay pin no 30 is live, relay pin no 87 is code50-1 and black with red trace and gose to starter and relay pin no 86 is code 50- and is black with blue trace like i say dont know if any use to you but may be hope you get it sorted i think you looked me up on face book if you did my phone numbers on there give us a bell and ill try to help you
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

How to test without a code reader!

link the two bottom ports on the code socket, then run a wire with an LED in it to the battery +ive terminal

Ideally, the engine should be started, but if it won't fire, wire up as above, crank for 5 seconds and leave ignition on.
The codes are then emitted like this:

The test mode starts with the LED illuminating for 5 seconds, then each code is shown by a 1 second on and 1 second off pulse. All codes are two digit and are separated by a 4 second pause.

So as above, A- 5 seconds on, B- 4 seconds off, C- 1 second on, D- 1 second on, E- 5 seconds on, F- 5 seconds on.

The above diagram shows fault code 12.

11- no faults
12- Vane air flow meter
13- Engine temp sensor
14-Vane air temp
15- throttle position sensor
22- vane air flow meter
23- N/A???
31- EEC IV module
32 EEC IV module

You may get more than one error code per reading.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

The wire from pin 30 was joined to a relay holder for the auto transmission, however there was no relay in it so not sure how that affects things.

Beakster sujested I checked the ignition lives to ensure they were not going to 0v as what happened with his cossy, unfortunatly this was not the problem.

I will have a try with the sujestions posted up here and also some that Steff has emailed over for me to try.

I really appriciate all the sujestions and pointers for this.
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Post by Capri_Andy »

Easy! Ground the wire to pin30 to permanently trick the ECU into thinking its in park/neutral.
The big fast red one!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Cheers andy,

Think I might have tried that but will definatly try again.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

An update on the EFI Conversion, been slack as have been removing my 24v BOB so that I can scrap the shell.

I went and got some LED's earlier and wired it in as shown in the earlier diagram.

If I watched the LED correctly it was flashing the code for no faults.

This has just confused me more.

Will try andys sujestion of grounding out the pin that is for the auto box.

Also got some stuff that stef sugested so not out of ideas yet but running pretty low. lol
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

He lives.

Turned out that I was not powering the coil with 12v ign and had not powered the ign module with 12v ign either.

I cannot describe the feeling when he fired up, pretty much instantly.

Ran into the house and literally bounced for a few mins.

Thanks to all the guys who helped me get this sorted, Could not have done it without you.
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Ghia15 wrote:He lives.

Turned out that I was not powering the coil with 12v ign and had not powered the ign module with 12v ign either.

I cannot describe the feeling when he fired up, pretty much instantly.

Ran into the house and literally bounced for a few mins.

Thanks to all the guys who helped me get this sorted, Could not have done it without you.
Do I win a prize?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Hows about a drink next time there is a laser page gathering. lol

Thanks again, will not be able to sleep tonight through pure excitment.

Im like a kid at christmas, :woot: :drive:
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Ghia15 wrote: Thanks again, will not be able to sleep tonight through pure excitment.

Im like a kid at christmas, :woot: :drive:
You did all the spannering though. It's a lovely achievement. Well done.

I know efi isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for a useable car it is ideal.
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

The video of it running, not the first start as had to play with the idle and the new exhaust manifold practically smoked me out of the garage.

As you will see it is lumpy and hunts at about 1000RPM, but that is more than likely the piper 285 cam.

Please excuse the jump leads to the battery in front of the car, only just sorted the cables for the boot battery.

I also do have a covering to prevent stuff going into the maf, granted it is only a sock for the moment. lol. will get something else before long.

Enjoy
InvalidBoy

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Hunting at idle can be down to an airleak...
dorriscapri
Car(s): 1978 mkIII 1.6L. I got the car as i was born in 78 myself i have heavery moded the car 205 block,2.8 frountlegs vented drilled and grooved discs, atles with lsd on rear, singel leaf rear springs, 2.8 frount rear anti roll bars, poly bushed, shark gray recaro, 6 clock dash, dash top and interia trim from a 280, kat frount and rear bumbers wheal tail mondaeo st24 16" 4spoke wheels, EFI, 4 branch manifold 2" pipe to 3" tailpipe, bulitt mirrors paint color aircraft blue. Came of the road end october2011 going back on road for its 35 birthday.

Post by dorriscapri »

glad to hear its running :mrgreen: better then me :oops: . can i ask a few questons were is your air flow meter, how have you got the acselerater cabel sorted. once again well cuffed for you iv had that feeling my self over the years with a few engiane swops the only better feeling was seeing my kids born :lol: