TURBO TAIL

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andy-mlm
Car(s): 1987 2.8 turbo low comp eng, stage 3 heads, hybrid turbo and intercooler

TURBO TAIL

Post by Andy-mlm »

Hi all does anybody have a turbo tail on there Capri is it just for looks or does it really help to keep the rear end down at speed,any info most welcome.
Cheers Andy
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

yes

Post by tck »

they create quite a down-force at speed which is why Ford reccommended fitting the RS front spoiler in conjunction with it.I can tell you at 120 mph with one fitted the car actually feels "planted"..If memory serves me right wasnt it you i saw won the one on egay other day? over 200?.
Andy-mlm
Car(s): 1987 2.8 turbo low comp eng, stage 3 heads, hybrid turbo and intercooler

Grip

Post by Andy-mlm »

Hi
good to here it works and I have not wasted my money, the first thing I did was to fit a front spoiler it's not a nice feeling to hit a head wind at 135 "on a track" and feel the front end go light, now I just need more rear end grip hopefully the tail will do that, the last thing I need is some 15 wheels, if anybody knows of any.

Cheers Andy
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

It works...

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Back in 1991 I did some testing at Castle Coombe (one of the fastest tracks so ideal) with Capri spoilers as I was changing from the Road Saloon Championship(only original 'S' spoiler allowed) to the Super Road Saloon championship and non-standard spoilers were allowed.

First of all I went out and did some quick laps as a benchmark, managing to get a few 10ths under the championship lap record (which i held at the time), so I knew I was on the limit.
I then bolted on the RS front spoiler and rear Turbotail wing, making no other changes. Straight away I was 1.5s a lap quicker!

The fibre-glass ones make a better aerodynamic device as they don't move, you see saggy rubber ones even when the car is stationary, when doing 3 figure speeds it's probably resting on the bumper :)
Plus with the fibre-glass one you can always attach a Gurney etc. for the slow tracks.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

And fibreglass nice and cheap to replace....

Post by Terra-Kotta »

when you have an "off" moment ;)
Andy-mlm

Advice

Post by Andy-mlm »

Thanks

I have loads of questions for you it looks like you have been and done and got the t shirt on what I'm trying to do,
can I ask your advice on a list of thinks I have looked through the search but there is no substitute for first hand info,
first of all I will tell you what I have to work with..
The car is a Sunday and track day car
1987 2.8i bored out , low comp pistons
all nuts bolts ap
large ex valve head gas flowed
piper bp270 fast road cam
steel timing gears
cosworth water cooled t3 turbo small input turbine for fast response
large intercooler
janspeed 7th injector setup

front lowered 30
back lowered
x frame
zakspeed style front spoiler modified for air flow to intercooler
rear rubber turbo tail

Advice needed on

shockers
brakes
gear box
improving handling
improving grip

any advice,comment or criticisms on my setup most welcome

Cheers Andy
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

advice...

Post by rich_jc »

shockers
brakes
gear box
improving handling
improving grip

Hey there,

What sort of BHP is your engine pushing out? As far as shocks go, you wont go wrong with some spax adjustables all round. You can set these up to suit your track days.

Brakes, you want bigger certainly on the front, possibly discs on the rear if you want to go mad. Im no expert on this, but i beleive there is a conversion involving mondeo calipers that someone can tell you about.

Gear box, if you're going to be ragging it about a track, the T5 box found in 2.9 granada scorpios (cheap on ebay) is pretty bullet proof, and a lot better than the standard type 9 you probably have got.

for handling, you've just about got it covered with the above and with you x frame. An engine bay strut brace will help stiffen the front end. Is the car a genuine 2.8 or a 4cylinder re-shell? If so, check the strengthening plates are all present. A limited slip diff will also help with large amounts of torque on corners.

Grip, that's down to tyres. Wheels, the wider the better.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Rich
Andy-mlm

INFO

Post by Andy-mlm »

Hi Rich
I would like to now what bhp the engine has got as well the engine is still being played with and will be going on the rolling road for final tune up and bhp test, am hoping for about 250bhp maybe more the engine has been setup the same as the turbo technics engine which was supposed to develop 230bhp plus I have fitting the janspeed 7th injector larger intercooler gas flowed heads and a turbo which gives out 22psi but the engine will only run on 12psi for now,

The car is a 2.8i special with the lsd
I have some mondeo calipers ready to fit but looking for some 15 wheels to fit them
also been looking all over for a t5 box
I will look into some spax shockers as well
tyres how wide can you go without wide arches

Thanks Rich for the info
Cheers Andy
mcramsay
Car(s): 1.6 bmw mini cooper(daily driver), capri 2.0s (restoration project)

Re: INFO

Post by mcramsay »

spax shocks are pretty pricey, i went for gaz shocks which are pretty sweet, nd u can do a coilover conversion with the gaz adjustables for around the amount it would cost u for spax...coilover is gooooood.
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

Ha! If 2.9 Grannies have the T5 fitted im gonna

Post by tck »

be busy tomorrow at all my local scrappies... I wish!
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Ok im writing this down

Post by Capri_Andy »

..thats laser 4 speed boxes and granny T5s on my shopping list! Thanks Rich ;)Image
The big fast red one!
rich_jc
Donator
Donator

bollox to you all

Post by rich_jc »

Rich
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Whats going on?

Post by Terra-Kotta »

?
Andy-mlm

G box list

Post by Andy-mlm »

Hi all

would it be an idea if you all could but a list together on what gear box fits what and out of what.
rich_jc
Donator
Donator

Well, I know what im on about in my little head...

Post by rich_jc »

I think im becoming one of those "I used to own a 3.0i back in the day" people.

I need to get my car on the road quick.

Rich
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Re: Advice

Post by QuadCamCapri »

It will be a trade off depending how much you want to spoil your Sundays on the road as to how fast you want to go on the track.
You could fit coilovers as there is a wider choice of spring rates and they're easier to change so you could have a set for the road and a set for the track. Something like 275lb will give it a nice balance on the track, fit a strut brace if you haven't already.
The rear keep soft ie. standard 2.8 leafs with poly bushes, if using adjustable dampers set them at the softer end of the range, a stiff rear set-up never works on a Capri it's slower on the stopwatch and nervous on the limit.
If your not too bothered about it's road manners then run plenty of camber (re-drill crossmember or adj. tca's) and caster (grind arb shoulder back). Fit poly or nylon bushes.

Some 283mm Cosworth discs to go with your mondeo calipers will do the job inside 15" wheels, for the rears drums can do the job, but the harder front springs you run the more work the rear brakes will do as you'll get less weight transfer.

You could use a strengthened Type-9 gearbox (mine is lasting well on the back of the 24v) or a Type-5 4-speed (as fitted to early 2.8's) as even with say a 3.44 diff ratio you wouldn't really need 5th on the track.
Otherwise your looking at a T5 or MT75 conversion.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Andy-mlm

repost

Post by Andy-mlm »

Hi all
just wanted to bring this post back to the top and ask if anyone has any more info or comments, and this is what I did this Easter fitted new shiny bits.

Thanks Andy
mcramsay
Car(s): 1.6 bmw mini cooper(daily driver), capri 2.0s (restoration project)

oooh

Post by mcramsay »

look at all that shiney stuff...im jelous the only time my engine bay shines is when the light reflects off the oil coating my pinto..damn