To Be 100% Sure...

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Strigon Two
Car(s): MCC Smart Roadster Coupe

To Be 100% Sure...

Post by Strigon Two »

Jacking points. I don't want my car to snap in half, so Ive taken a couple of photos to show you all what I can see. I need to replace two tyres from the same side of the car (n/s) and the car isnt moveable, which means I have to support the car on stands, take two wheels off and get the tyres replaced, then put them back on.
I hate to sound like a novice but Id rather get this right than end up with a bent sill.

So. Where do I jack the car so that I can safely put axle stands under both the front and back of the car to get the wheels off?

This is where I think it should be done (Please note this picture is from the Offside/Drivers side of the car, the other side was too low to the ground to get a picture):

Sorry if its a bit crap, Ive had to do this in MS Paint on my laptop, PhotoShop is on my main PC.
So is this the jacking point I need? Can I jack the car up there and put stands under the front and back or will it not lift the car enough?

Finally, where do I have to put the stands? Can someone show me a photo or describe the position?
~ jayseatonphotography.co.uk
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: To Be 100% Sure...

Post by nigecapri »

Your jacking point is a floor strengthener so don't put a jack under it!
If you look further back there's a hole in the chassis and a notch out of the sill and this is where the standard issue Ford jack plugs in but they aren't designed well and can damage the door / side trim. This is the point of balance to jack it up if you're using just one jack, you can jack it up anywhere under the chassis box-sections. I generally ignore this and put a trolley jack under the differential (middle of the axle) then lift enough to put an axle stand under the leaf spring saddle (watch out for the U-bolts ends for a snug fit) or under the axle tube at the outer end. For the front, trolley under the middle of the X-member below the engine and axle stand goes under the side of the X-member 1/2 inch from the radius arm cut-out.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

I can't explain very well from where I am at the moment, but if you can beg, steal or borrow a Capri Haynes manual there's a handy picture right at the very front showing a diagram of the underside of a Capri and anywhere shaded black is somewhere you can put a jack or axle stands. Do you still have any original Ford paperwork for your car? Mine has a weird jack that I've never used, but according to Ford's diagrams it goes somewhere in the centre of the sill and lifts both wheels on one side at the same time (i.e. it doesn't just lift one leg, it tilts the entire car sideways) - so I'd imagine you can place your trolley jack in the same location and then just chuck your axle stands in the usual locations. I am busy tonight but at the first opportunity I will upload a diagram or description of the jacking/support points, unless someone beats me to it.
jackinthegreen
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (fair-weather daily driver)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT (rain/ice/salt daily driver)

Previous moderns:
Ford Focus RS MK2 (traded in)
Jaguar Sovereign (traded in)
Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto (traded in)
Vauxhall Astra MK4 1.6i 8v spi (exported to Poland)
Vauxhall Astra MK3 1.4i 8v mpi (broken for parts)

Post by jackinthegreen »

Ah I was talking while typing that response and someone already beat me to it :)
Jake

Post by Jake »

Dont use the 'jacking point' it will crush it.

Use somewhere on the chassis rail somewhere easy to get to. Dont forget a axle stand or 2! :)
Strigon Two
Car(s): MCC Smart Roadster Coupe

Post by Strigon Two »

Thanks for the advice guys. I managed in the end, with painfully slow jacking up on the chassis rail (where the hole was, as Nige pointed out). I didnt use the jacking point in the picture, it looked a bit thin! Good advice here though, thank you.

The axle stands I have are... well, rather tall at even their lowest point. So it was a bit of a balancing act but I got it done. Now I feel proud.

So... next up is the paintjob...
~ jayseatonphotography.co.uk
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Just to make it perfectly clear - the bits of square section under each side of the chassis as shown in the photo (with holes for the fuelpipes) are floor strengtheners and not jacking points, the jacking points are where there's a big hole straight through the chassis with a square bit of metal plate round it as seen here below the middle of the door: