Fitting a 38DGAS carb to my 2.0ltr Pinto need advice!!!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
thebluebeast
Car(s): Capri mk3 2.0 Daily Pearl Blue

Fitting a 38DGAS carb to my 2.0ltr Pinto need advice!!!

Post by thebluebeast »

Hey guys,

Just brought a 38Weber for my mk3 2.0 pinto, its set up to go on a 2ltr manifold not the 3.0. also has the pinto 2.0ltr linkage.

Just wondering if i need anything else when fitting this too my car? compared to the origninal set up of the 32/36 weber carb on it.

or any tuning tips or problems or hose blocking i need to know? or is it just a straight swap?

Thanks
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Re: Fitting a 38DGAS carb to my 2.0ltr Pinto need advice!!!

Post by Supercharged Nat »

Good stuff! It should go on without any problems, keep the spacer block from underneath your current carb. The 38dgas has two idle mixture screws rather than just the one. When setting your mixture just make sure you move BOTH screws and by the same amount. Also make sure your adjusting them both in the correct direction, its easy to open one and close the other by mistake :oops: setting the idle speed is the the same as the 32/36.

PS id recommend using new gaskets when fitting the carb, if the carb youve got to put on is unknown (ie you havent seen it running) id buy a service kit and renew the gaskets and diaphrams inside for piece of mind.

If your dgas is the later type then you may have to connect a couple of vac pipes (the earlier dgas doesnt have them). If your unsure just ask on here!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

Yes it just bolts onto the original pinto manifold and as long as it has the correct linkage is pretty much plug and play.

The only problem I noticed with the 3.0 carb is the mixture adjuster next to the rocker is hard to get to as its recessed in a tube on the carb.
To get at this one you can get screwdrivers that have the end at 90 degrees to the shaft, this will give you a chance.

When doing the mixture its best to do it with a gas analyser to get it into the ball park. I got mine quite close and then a garage finished it off at MOT time.

other than that, enjoy.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Ghia15 wrote:The only problem I noticed with the 3.0 carb is the mixture adjuster next to the rocker is hard to get to as its recessed in a tube on the carb.
To get at this one you can get screwdrivers that have the end at 90 degrees to the shaft, this will give you a chance.
Is that a more recent upgrade to the carb? My screw is not concealed like that which makes it easier to burn your knuckle on the manifold when adjusting it!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

you have 38dgas like mine, updated to suit a pinto, the ones that come off actual 3.0 essex engines are concealed.

the new 38 i just got for the 3.0 is concealed and the 38 i got for my pinto a few years ago was not but was sold as a pinto 38.
thebluebeast

Post by thebluebeast »

Many thanks guys once again for all the help and advice will take this Into mind when fitting and yeh will get service kit good idea just in case, I know my local mkcapricare guy so may be able to help with tuning getting it set up sweet, when it comes I'll probably be on here if any problems.
thebluebeast

Post by thebluebeast »

See a service kit on eBay for £17 this any good? Or can I get cheaper elsewhere?
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Sounds about right on price.