head gasket gone 2.8i

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
l0st_s0ul
Car(s): passed test 24/08/2010 at 3pm :) ford capri 1.6 D reg and Ford Capri 2.8 A reg

head gasket gone 2.8i

Post by l0st_s0ul »

bought the car 5 weeks ago it had an air leak which i fixed the car runs smoother, checked the oil the other day and had white gunge under the cap and on dipstick, the car is eating water super quick and getting up near over heating within 10 mins.

i have to refill the car each time i wanna go out

the only good thing about this car is its returning 50mpg on £10 of petrol

so after ive been to hereford which is 135 mile :(, i am gonna replace the head gasket, also car has an oil leak

im wondering how far do i have to strip the car down, ive got a haynes manual but not the best info in the world

it sucks because i just got my car insured and now this :(

can someone give me some info do i need to align the timing chain before removing anything, do i need to do anything with the distubuter ?
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Re: head gasket gone 2.8i

Post by Beakster »

Hi,

Head gaskets on a 2.8 isn't a very fun job. Pretty much everything from the top end of the engine has to be removed, which means lots of hoses. You''l have to remove the inlet manifold which means removing the plenum and distributer and everything which gets in your way in the process.

Be sure and check if the heads are warped when you have them off with a straight edge like a metal ruler. When I did mine they were quite obviously warped. After having them skimmed I also needed to get the inlet manifold skimmed to make it sit right.

You don't have to do anything with the timing chain though. But you should reset all your valve clearances once the job in done.
Gray18
Car(s): 2007 fiesta zetec s
1983 2.8 Injection

Post by Gray18 »

If i was you, i would get a good second hand engine, off the likes of martin etc, fit that and job done! However, somehow i don't think a replacement engine will do 50mpg!
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

Post by tck »

dont go ripping heads off until youve done a gas test in cooling system...you may be losing water from somewhere else...p.s.if you get a s/h engine, can i buy your old one please?... :D