purple and black wire

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
chris1600l
Car(s): 2.8 special c reg burgundy

purple and black wire

Post by chris1600l »

was checking over the fuse box the other day and unscrewed it as there was a loose connection managed to sort that out but as i removed the fuse box i notice that a black and purple wire going into it had been cut and linked up to a black wire not sure where this goes so my question is what does the balck and purple wire supply ?? thankyou chris
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Re: purple and black wire

Post by Supercharged Nat »

can you post up a piccy?
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

From memory usually the fuel pump. but you might have something else there.
When you turn your key in the ignition does the fuel pump come on and stay on?? if it does then the person before you has bypassed the fuel relay and connected it to a switched 12v ignition supply.
chris1600l

Post by chris1600l »

when i turn the key the fuel pump doesent even prime i have been informed i possibly have a problem with my ignition barrel as when it is turned all the way to the right and keep it there and i depress the accelerator it revvs fine soon as i release the key the engine dies so im gonna change the barrell however i still think some of the problem maybee the black and purple wire being cut i have exhausted all other possibilities if you read my other posts you will see ive had problems getting the capri started
chris1600l

Post by chris1600l »

quick update changed ignition barrel and made no difference fuel pump still not priming when ignition turned on gonna rewire the black and purple wire to the loose bit of black and purple wire to see itf that does owt but them im gonna be left with a thin black wire ??
everything else is fine
r2vdh

Post by r2vdh »

If you have a look at the pink relay you should have a purple and black coming off of that. That supplies your fuel pump but it also supplies 12v to your warm up reg and the aux air device.
Where abouts are you based?? I'm down in sussex. If you need some help I can leave my mob no. for you
r2vdh

Post by r2vdh »

one quick thought do you have an imobiliser built into your car??
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

So it will fire up and run if you hold it on the key? sounds like a problem with the ballast resistor wire. It's light blue, about two feet long and plugs into the main loom almost under the airbox.
I have some that have come off running cars.
chris1600l

Post by chris1600l »

is this the one that should have been where this wire is in this pic ??? i did change this and put a ballast resistor wire in

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g24/c ... 010055.jpg

cheers chris
r2vdh

Post by r2vdh »

yeah you should have a blue wire that goes in there normally. not sure if this would be the problem but its worth changing. got one at the garage if you want it. £5 posted
chris1600l

Post by chris1600l »

hi thanks for the offer i got one already and changed it but sadly not sorted the problem