Lumpy and sleepy

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
NewbieFord
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6 laser in black

Lumpy and sleepy

Post by NewbieFord »

I just changed the ht leads and i know they are on right and the reason i changed them was because the engine wasn't running at all well, cutting at traffic lights after a minute or so of sounding like it was giving up the ghost so i'm going to check the spark plugs themselves to see what condition they are in but thats tomorrows job i have a video but no sound weirdly but you should be able to see the smoke coming out and on the piece of cardoboard whats coming out. to me the white smoke could indicate head gasket failure but i check the oil cap and its fine, jet black
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9Pkv8MRDM
no sound btw but any thoughts, very strong smell of petrol as well btw if that helps explain anything so maybe something stuck in the system left unburnt? i dunno i'm an amateur =D
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: Lumpy and sleepy

Post by nigecapri »

Petrol smell indicates a miss-fire or too rich mixture.
Check the points / condenser - just renew them if in doubt, get the ignition timing checked with a strobe light then have a mechy check the emissions with a gas analyser and adjust if needed.
Next on thelist is to check valve clearances and adjust if needed and have a compression test done to check condition of rings / valve seats.
Click photo below for a read up on points / contact breakers (sorry -no info there on your carb, Ford VV type )
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

nigecapri wrote:Petrol smell indicates a miss-fire or too rich mixture.
Check the points / condenser - just renew them if in doubt, get the ignition timing checked with a strobe light then have a mechy check the emissions with a gas analyser and adjust if needed.
Next on thelist is to check valve clearances and adjust if needed and have a compression test done to check condition of rings / valve seats.
Click photo below for a read up on points / contact breakers (sorry -no info there on your carb, Ford VV type )
I think you may be right on the rich mixture because thats what i had thought at first and it would make sense, but my dad and grandad said nothing about it, so much for those two being experianced mechanics and not mention anything about an overly rich mixture! i'll check it out later on this week when i get the chance and report back =D
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
crowthornecapris
Car(s): BMW E36 323i SE

Post by crowthornecapris »

Seeing as its a 1.6, have you changed the diaphram in the vv carb?, if i recall these always split. they were not the best carbs in the world, ok when brand new, useless when old.
Try to get a complete weber and manifold from a 2.0 and swap everything over, really easy. Stick on a k & n filter and away you go. Best of luck buddy!

:cheers:
banburycapri
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser(D reg, Daily)
Vw Beetle 1300 1972(In half currently)

Post by banburycapri »

Check the condition of the spark plugs, see what they look like (mine were black) would replace them as well. Replace the ht leads. check the mixture. Get the timing checked.

That's what mine running perfect again. However as mentioned by crowthornecapris the VV may be the problem.
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

crowthornecapris wrote:Seeing as its a 1.6, have you changed the diaphram in the vv carb?, if i recall these always split. they were not the best carbs in the world, ok when brand new, useless when old.
Try to get a complete weber and manifold from a 2.0 and swap everything over, really easy. Stick on a k & n filter and away you go. Best of luck buddy!

yeh its the carb at fault, when you do the swap can the auto choke stay on or do you need to swap it for a manuel?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

NewbieFord wrote:
crowthornecapris wrote:Seeing as its a 1.6, have you changed the diaphram in the vv carb?, if i recall these always split. they were not the best carbs in the world, ok when brand new, useless when old.

yeh its the carb at fault, when you do the swap can the auto choke stay on or do you need to swap it for a manuel?
Most webers are autochoke. The choke housing is different to that on the VV but the pipes connect up in the same way.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... r/88114299 I found this on gumtree, any ideas if it could fit my 1.6 laser engine and what needs changed for it to fit because as far as i know the only thing is the choke housing and the pipes
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

NewbieFord wrote:http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... r/88114299 I found this on gumtree, any ideas if it could fit my 1.6 laser engine and what needs changed for it to fit because as far as i know the only thing is the choke housing and the pipes

That should just bolt on as it says although you will need an inlet manifold gasket.
Choke housing is not an issue, just disconnect the pipes from the existing housing and connect up tp the new one instead, they are the same size.
Only issue might be the throttle linkage. I think the Weber is different to the VV so you may need to source taht as well. Could try Martin at Capri Gear.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

Ok thats it! it runs like a dream again but I had to find a replacement vv carb because I'm a student so £30 quid vs £100 = no brainer but the guy sold me two new diaphragms as well so this will be a tempory measure until i save the money for a new and better carb but thanks for the advice, appreciated =]