New clutch, new problems

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
NewbieFord
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6 laser in black

New clutch, new problems

Post by NewbieFord »

I replaced the clutch and I took it up and down a small lane (about 500m to the top and back in total) and whilst the heat gauge dial thing isn't working, you could tell the engine was incredibly hot without touching it. I think it needs a head gasket but could air pockets in the radiator be the cause? Plus how do you fit an electric fan? I'm no mechanic but I'm learning on this car, just annoying I pass my driving test then the car lets go :banghead:
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: New clutch, new problems

Post by nigecapri »

Ignition & dash lights to on, earth the wire for the temp sender against the engine and watch to see if the gauge goes up to the top, this will show the gauge and wires are o.k. Sender is at front left side of engine just above the distributor - single wire pushed on.
Get this system sorted then you'll know what temps you have, no point worrying or fiddling if nothings busted.
Radiator cannot airlock. Pintos don't usualy airlock and will run even if the water level is not showing above the core when looking in the filler hole. If it is getting too hot then gunged up radiator is the usual cause. With a decent radiator a pinto will run without any fan, I have only a leccy on but only switch it on when pulling to a stop after a fast run or on very hot summer days.
Changing a clutch shouldn't affect engine temps but will get hot and smell if it's slipping due to the cable being too tight! The clutch bearing needs to be just touching the spring fingers rather then pressing against them hard.
click photo below.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Hope this doesn't sound patronising, but define 'incredibly hot'. Petrol engines do get very hot very quickly. Are there any other signs of head gasket failure?
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

mjcapri wrote:Hope this doesn't sound patronising, but define 'incredibly hot'. Petrol engines do get very hot very quickly. Are there any other signs of head gasket failure?
I haven't had a chance to go round the car completly but their was a very definite smell that my dad put down to head gasket, but I need to investigate a bit more but it is completly original with 65,000 miles and nothing was changed so I think it's time to change things so that it won't fail me in scotland

But by really hot I meant that the heat was felt whilst i was level with the top of the open bonnet but again i need to investigate a bit more. I'll let you know later on how hot it really gets once i fix the temp gauge =D
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Like you say, sort the sender, then run it for a bit. Seeming hot and actually overheating are not the same. If it is overheating there will be other symptoms like steam or a bubbling radiator so don't jump in and change things until you know there is a definite fault. Remember, the exhaust manifold is fairly high up in the engine bay and chucks out a lot of heat. :goodluck:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

So, it was running ok then you changed the clutch.
Now it smells hot.
Why on earth would it suddenly be the head gasket gone?
Surely more likely to be the component you just changed.
Don't grasp at random straws, attack it slowly and logically! Think twice before you act once!
Firstly, check the clutch isn't slipping.
The clutch pedal should lift up about 3/4" from it's rest position when adjusted correctly. Without that free play you will be constantly applying pressure to the clutch plate and it'll be slipping, causing friction and................wait for it.......................a hot smell!
NewbieFord

Post by NewbieFord »

Bug wrote:So, it was running ok then you changed the clutch.
Now it smells hot.
Why on earth would it suddenly be the head gasket gone?
Surely more likely to be the component you just changed.
Don't grasp at random straws, attack it slowly and logically! Think twice before you act once!
Firstly, check the clutch isn't slipping.
The clutch pedal should lift up about 3/4" from it's rest position when adjusted correctly. Without that free play you will be constantly applying pressure to the clutch plate and it'll be slipping, causing friction and................wait for it.......................a hot smell!
All i wanted to do was check up with people who have experiance with these cars, i bought this with the intent of learning how to fix cars in general, so my mechanical knowlodge is zilch at this moment but something i hope to learn along the way, plus i don't want to balls it up hence why i'm being the most pedantic i ever have been in my life :xd:

Post by Guest »

The smell will almost certainly be the clutch - new ones often do smell for a short time even if they're not slipping.

The heat you felt from the engine doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

On a positive note, from what you've told us I can't see anything to point towards a blown head gasket. ;)