She's Pullin'

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
billymagfhloinn
Car(s): 1.6 Daily Driver

She's Pullin'

Post by billymagfhloinn »

Question for you experts, if you would be so kind....

My 86 Laser always pulled a bit under braking, mostly to the right. I just replaced the front calipers, and got braided hoses. Then replaced the shoes and bled the lot. Still pulled to the right under braking.

Up on a rolling road today, brake system seems not too unbalanced. 16% difference front and back, 30% on handbrake. Within tolerable limits, so I'm told.

What else might it be? Duff steering rack? Mechanic said it wasn't in perfect nick, but not too bad looking.

I tested t he car again, emergency brake on an empty road at about 45-50 mph. It didn't fly off to the side, it seems to be more of a problem when applying light or medium braking. Needless to say, fighting the car from moving across the road into some truck's path is not the fun Capri driving should be! :shock:

Please help.
Thanks,
Billy.
dixy1949

Re: She's Pullin'

Post by dixy1949 »

near side caliper would seem to be the problem, bleed bleed & bleed again.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Old rubber suspension bushes can be the cause. If the track control arms (radius arms) are more than a couple of years old then best to get a new pair - these carry the lower balljoint so for 30 squid, if you're stripping them out to fit new bushes then replacing makes sense but get a pair with poly bushes ready-fitted or buy some superflex to fit yourself.
The old rubber ones will squish allowing the arm to swing backwards in the wheelarch and hence the pulling. Sometimes if both are soft the car will wander from one side to the other as the arms move about.
Rack wear can give problems but check the rubber mount bushes - I can twist the steering column lower coupleing with one hand and watch the whole rack move sideways on one of mine! - poly rack mounts a big plus for positive steering.
The anti-roll bar mounts also need to ne good - poly also available.
Click photo below for more info + piccies.
billymagfhloinn
Car(s): 1.6 Daily Driver

Post by billymagfhloinn »

Any idea where one might buy ones with poly bushings pre-fitted?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I stock the full range of superflex polybushes for the Capri.
mooneyj

Post by mooneyj »

no need to get them pre fitted.

get the kit from martin (caprigear) remove your old bushes by cutting them out,

and the new ones come in two halves and take seconds to fit into the arm.

then put it all back together. you will end up paying more money getting them already in. and it will take seconds for you to do
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

Post by tck »

the old "pulling" to left/right problem.....its a FORD!!!...an old FORD!! they ALL do it!!....they all got 100 odd k on the clock!..all knackered etc etc....never had parts replaced for donkeys years...as peeps have said....get ALL front bushes replaced with quality items...some prefer poly..some HD rubber....DONT overlook wear in the rack...(most do)......makes a big differance in straight line stability under braking....its an antiquated set up...you gotta get back to basics and make it all as new...
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

I have a set of track control arms with poly bushes in them, have done bout 1000 miles.
Ball joints are in good condition with no play and tight movement. PM me if interested..
:spam: