Failed MOT, are they having a laugh?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
CAliverpoolfc
Car(s): Susuki SJ- Offroad car, Ford Capri MKIII 1600 Laser

Failed MOT, are they having a laugh?

Post by CAliverpoolfc »

Just had an MOT at halfords, car has been off the road for 6 months as ive been doing loads of work on it, so nice driving again. Had an MOT at Halfords today, failed on a few things but the main one was no indicators on the wings?!?! Never had this problem before and never heard of it, thought they where joking at first, ill probably go somewhere else when I try again for an MOT but it will be on their records so im worried the other place I go to might have a problem with it.
Swishy
Car(s): 2 X 1.6 LS

Volvo V70 D5 (daily driver)

Re: Failed MOT, are they having a laugh?

Post by Swishy »

depends on when your car was first registered.

can't remember when it came in but all cars after a certain date should have side repeaters - chances are many testers will 'let it slip' when it comes to Capri's "if they aren't fitted, they can't be tested" :whistle:

- if yours should have them and doesn't it's probably had new wings at some point and they weren't refitted.
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

I'll be the first to say it.... In future try to avoid the likes of Halfords they just aren't that clued up. Try and strike up a decent relarionship with an independant local garage and do likewise with a motor factors so you have somewhere to get your bits!

Good luck with the MOT! ;)
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Post by andrewg1323 »

If its a D plate or later it needs em, any earlier and you;re fine.
Off the top of my head build date 1/9/86 onwards...

Too many testers jsut aren't fully aware of the dates thats all, if you go back for the retest tell them you;re right and to check the manual, if they still fail you on it phone vosa
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

andrewg1323 wrote:If its a D plate or later it needs em, any earlier and you;re fine.
Off the top of my head build date 1/9/86 onwards...

Too many testers jsut aren't fully aware of the dates thats all, if you go back for the retest tell them you;re right and to check the manual, if they still fail you on it phone vosa

I used to be a tester and common sense was still a recognised thing in the work place....... have a look at this web page ..... its basically the mot testers manual..... think it states cars after 1st April 86..... but to be totally honest......... what difference does it make if it doesnt have them?? Most capri's dont, and would it make that much difference to other road users? Like most things in this country its another avenue of bullshit!

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_140.htm

As for halfords............. erm.....yeah, think they are good with pushbikes!
Image ImageImage
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Get you head under the wings and have a look for the wires IF there is evidence
of them being there- then chances are you will have to re-fit them
If there is no evidence then you could claim its one that slipped the net
Of course if there are wires you "could" try and get away with a loom swap from an earlier model leaving no evidence.

For the time that law came in along with the dodgy build of some of the mid 80s "chucked together with what ford had left over" Capris.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Halfords do MOTs!! Not over here thats for sure... everyone goes to the same dedicated test centre.
:spam:
CAliverpoolfc
Car(s): Susuki SJ- Offroad car, Ford Capri MKIII 1600 Laser

Post by CAliverpoolfc »

Thanks for the replies, most people saying what i was expecting, will deffinately go to local garage next time, theyve always been fine but i got pursuaded to use halfords as it was half the price. Have replaced both the wings and no sign of anything when ive done it, pretty sure it wasnt built with them, plus its a 1984.
STOCK...tm
Car(s): Nothing special as a daily driver.. nothing for the weekend.... but a HEMI V8 in the garage getting some attention :)

Post by STOCK...tm »

CAliverpoolfc wrote:Thanks for the replies, most people saying what i was expecting, will deffinately go to local garage next time, theyve always been fine but i got pursuaded to use halfords as it was half the price. Have replaced both the wings and no sign of anything when ive done it, pretty sure it wasnt built with them, plus its a 1984.

If it is a 1984 then go back to halfords and tell them you disagree with the fail, as the testers manual (which they have to adhere to) states in section 1.4 ....

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens

So therefor a vehicle first used or registered BEFORE the 1st April 1986 DOES NOT require the fitment of side repeaters...... if you still get no joy then firstly explain that you will be taking the matter with VOSA and informing them of testers who are incapable of understanding black and white text ..... !
Image ImageImage
Sonic
Car(s): 2.8 efi Special
1.6 LS

Post by Sonic »

Craigorypeck wrote:everyone goes to the same dedicated test centre.
The fail centre as I like to call it.... never had the Capri pass first time ever!