Capri injection

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Capri injection

Post by Ghia15 »

The time has come and i have decided to fit the transit EFI system to my capri.

The engine is tuned and already has the injection head fitted.

The carb needs tuning as its running rich and wont idle, the idle jets are too small. insted of spending money on the rollers to get the carb set up just to swap it for the EFI in less than a year im going to just fit the EFI.

got the entire loom from the transit so going to need to sort that out.

would like to run some bigger injectors to cope with the power of the engine. i will be changing the cam for a 2.0 efi fast road cam. Can bigger injectors be fitted to the standard plenum?

The system i will be running has a lambda sensor already fitted so the air fuel ratio shouldnt be a problem, will probably replace with a new one to ensure it is top notch.

Im going to use a swirl pot for the EFI system and my current 5speed gearbox.

I apologise in advance for all the stupid wiring questions but the quote from oceans 13 suits me best, im an analogue player in a digital world.

still this is going to be fun.

dont need the car till after uni due to the granada being my uber reliable daily driver so got time to spend on it.

my question is, and thank you for persevering to the end of this post, is where can i get a good swirl pot for a reasonable price. going to get the high pressure pump through my boss hopefully as it is one we run on the F1's. is a bosch with the same design as the 2.8i pumps.

hopefully my hucco pump will be enough to prime the swirl pot.

thanks all.
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Re: Capri injection

Post by Capri_Andy »

You should go all the way and get a mappable ECU like megasquirt since your pinto is on the wild side.

The standard ECU will adapt to minor modifications to an extent if it has the old style air flow meter but gains will be limited without a fuel map to match the engine. Bigger injectors will overcome lack of fueling on full throttle but also throw the rest of the fuel map off and run too rich.
The big fast red one!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

its not running a MAF sensor, its a lambda unit. should compensate alot better than the old style MAF sensor. This EFI setup is off of an 1993 Ex police transit van

looking out for a second hand emerald ECU as my mate knows someone who will load up the latest software and be able to map it on his rollers
Capri_Andy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Laser 2.9 efi resto (in many pieces)

Post by Capri_Andy »

Im afraid they say the newer lamdba system is even less adaptable. It goes into open loop mode above a certain rpm or full throttle. The oldskool AFM system is the one to go for.
The big fast red one!
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

will see how it goes. if it was easy then it wouldnt be any fun
Ghia15
Donator
Donator

Post by Ghia15 »

Just checked the system and it is actually a standard system with both the lambda sensor and the MAF sensor.

dont know if this makes the system any better or worse.