x-pac 2.8i Janspeed Turbo

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Gingerfury
Car(s): 1983 2.8i (in bits)

x-pac 2.8i Janspeed Turbo

Post by Gingerfury »

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and need some help. I have a 2.8 in bits that will take a lot of time and cash to put back together, and a bloke at my work has told me of his friend of a friend that has a 2.8i x-pac with a Janspeed turbo (all from new). I didn't think that Capri's came with turbo's or body kits but I have been told they did.
Can anyone tell me if;
Janspeed made turbo units for Capri's?
If they did, did they put them on in the Ford factory?
Would they have something different on the v5 or bonnet plate?
Is there anyway I can check up on this?
Also the x-pac kit i thought this is just an after market body kit, but I was told that this also came from Ford and there is more to it than that.
If anyone could if he is talking shit I would really like your advice!!!!!
And if he is not talking sh*t what is about the right price for this car? Have been told that it is in very good condition but I have been told that about a few cars (Including a 2.8i in bits lol).
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: x-pac 2.8i Janspeed Turbo

Post by Noel »

Hello!

I stand to be corrected by anyone with better info, but to start off:

Yes, Janspeed made turbo conversions for the Capri.
Back in the day, Janspeed were a tuning outfit and did more than just make exhausts.

No, the kits were not fitted in Ford factories, they were an aftermarket thing.
Very much doubt VIN plate or V5 would be amended, as no details on the V5 would be changed.
Would imagine Janspeed might have added their own plate, but having never seen one close up I can only speculate. To check up you can either see the original bill for the conversion work, or ask Janspeed, but then again I think they have been through some ownership changes over the last few decades so whether it's really the same company now I don't know.

The x-pack kit was a genuine Ford option. In the late 70s / early 80s X-pack would include (for example) triple carbs on your 3.0 V6, stiffer springs, bigger wheels, wider tyres, etc.. plus of course the big-arch body kit. Whether this one is original you can only tell from documentation or an expert eye, as there were non-original x-pack style kits made. All body kits are only as good as the person that fitted them. Which can be good if it was a Ford kit ordered with the car when new, or bad if fitted in a draughty garage in the early 1990s to cover up rusty original body work! Note also that by the time the 2.8i came along I don't know how much the mechanical options of the x-pack were applicable, because this model already had uprated springs/wheels/tyres etc. as standard.

As to value, if its a mint Janspeed turbo 2.8i with an X-pack then it could be pushing 5 figures, or down to a grand or two if shagged out.

Only way to judge the car really is to have a good old nose at it!

Noel.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

You could pm nalaeroom (Alan), he has a Janspeed 2.8 turbo and knows quite a bit about them too - pops in occasionally I believe but not a regular.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

Post by tck »

[quote="Gingerfury"]Can anyone tell me if;
Janspeed made turbo units for Capri's?
If they did, did they put them on in the Ford factory?
Would they have something different on the v5 or bonnet plate?
Is there anyway I can check up on this?
Also the x-pac kit i thought this is just an after market body kit, but I was told that this also came from Ford and there is more to it than that.
Hi,Noel has pretty much correctly answered your questions...
Yes, Janspeed made turbo kits for capris.
No they didnt put em on at the factory.
No, nothing on the V5 or vin plate.
Yes the X-pack kit is aftermarket..but if you asked your local dealer to fit one when car new, he would..and Ford did not make em...they bought em in from a certain supplier...
Last edited by tck on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Janspeed put a plate similiar to the V5 on their conversions, it will have a serial number on it.

I know this because my 2.8 was once a Janspeed turbo, the plate was still there but sadly the turbo and ancillaries were not.