Restoration cost

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Restoration cost

Post by Burtr »

As some of you may know - I have a 1986 Capri 2.8i special. It's original metallic mineral blue colour and has a 1.6 axle. Time has come to sort it out.
It currently has been stripped and both front wings removed. I sanded down the rest of the bodywork with 80, 120 then 180 sandpaper and then threw a zinc primer rattle can over the body. It needs the following welding....
Both strut tops
Passenger side floor small hole
Hole below front windscreen passenger side.
Hole at rear of drivers side wing below rear bumper
Passenger side rear wheel arch
Drivers side rear wheel arch
Drivers side door - door lock hole on door
Passenger side door - door lock hole on door
Hole above passenger door hinge mounting
Hole above drivers side door hinge mounting
Hole at rear drivers side wing behind rear wheel arch
Front lip of bonnet
Split above front valance
Passenger side inner front wing front and rear
Holes at front of both sills/cills? behind missing mudflaps

Weld a small fixing plate for bottom of passenger side front headlight to secure headlight frame
Remove damaged passenger side floor stiffener re weld new one
Remove battery tray re weld new one

It has a dent on the door, a dent in the rear and a dent in the roof - all small.

Then i want to buy the X-Pack which consists of the front under valance spoiler, 2 replacement front wings with bulge built in and 2 rear wings with bulge that sit over existing wings, get them fitted and spray it original metallic mineral blue. I have been quoted £4900 including VAT and including paint and materials to do all the work...

My question is
1 - Is that a good price? This is without me buying a complete exhaust and manifold that it needs because i don't have one circa £500, the x pack bodykit at £600 and 4 wheels and tyres at £600.....total price £6600. 2.8i fitted with x packs seem to be rare. Can't find any for sale.
2 - Would you guys recommend me going down this road or shall i just cut my losses and buy something else?
3 - Once it is a lowered mineral blue 2.8i x pack how much do you think it'll be worth? I'm not doing it to make money, but i don't wanna throw all this money at a car for it only to be worth £100.
4 - I've just sold my house - hence...you only live once.
Ta
Burt
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Restoration cost

Post by Caprigear »

Is the £4900 including fitting the kit? if so, it's a bloody good price. What you need to understand is that if you have to pay anyone to restore your car then you are going to invest more than it is worth so the question is simple - are you prepared to do that?
If not then forget it and move on.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Is it worth it to you is the key. If you are creating your dream Capri and intend to keep it then do it. I had £1500 worth of paint and repairs done on mine a couple of years ago. Garage said it wasn't worth it and they were probably right but I've had the car 10 years now, I know it and I'm not planning on getting shot so to me it was a good deal.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Post by capri_sam »

Modded capris seem to be losing a lot of value at the moment so even with the x-pack (which will look smashing) expect to only fetch £4k for the car when you come to sell. The price sounds fair but for the money you want a good job with photos of the work along the way. I paid £1,800 inc VAT and paint but not panels for a spray over, new wings, new arches, a couple of patches on the doors and welding to the floorpan. Looked great- for 6 months! Few bubbles in supposedly repaired sections are already starting to appear.

Do it. Like you said you only live once!
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Post by Burtr »

Cheers peeps. Bought my 1st Capri 1.6ls A718 YOB but didn't pass my test so didn't drive it and sold it. Bought a Capri 1.6 Laser after passing my test. Drove it for 2 years then sold it as i was moving and needed dosh. Bought my 3rd one and my first 2.8i E666 ??? for £300 and upon taking it for it's MOT it turned out that a huge section of the rear chassis was missing so I sold it for £350. Bought my 4th Capri C170 AHA 2.8is - drove it for 1 year before it failed it's MOT on rotten strut mounts - it's now been off the road for 3 years. There's a theme developing here. I'm sick of not being able to driv my Capri and enjoy it. I'm 37 and in 19 years i've had only 3 years of driving Capris and 1 year of a 2.8i. I could buy another, but it must be my dream one a 2.8i with an XX pack on it (the bodykit with new front wings with the bubble arch built in), but how much do they go for? And if i did buy it for say 4k it'll probably need some major work on it 3 or 4 years down the line, however if i pump nearly £4,900K on major restoration work which includes materials, fitting the kit, doing the welding, knocking out the dents and spraying it (a shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit loada money which i only have as i sold my house) on my dream capri then at least i know that i'll keep the bad boy for years to come. Still an awful lotta money...i dunno but your comments are helping....I want that model and regardless of what happens now i will always want that model and end up buying it in the future.... :?