There's Water Getting In

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
billymagfhloinn
Car(s): 1.6 Daily Driver

There's Water Getting In

Post by billymagfhloinn »

Lift the carpet in the driver's footwell, and there's water there. I know some people mentioned this as a problem with some Capris. Where's it getting in from? Is it coming in under the door, or possibly from the windscreen?

If it is coming in at the bottom of the door, as I suspect, might there be a way to prevent this? I don't much care for a damp car, and the potential rust it brings.

Thanks,
Billy.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Re: There's Water Getting In

Post by atomic4 »

Best to visually check that the underside of your capri is solid and sound. At least that gets that part out of the way. Check you drivers side A-post and around where it meets the scuttle panel for possible damage also. Be very thorough in your inspection. It's just a process of elimination to hopefully find the cause. ;)

One more thing, has the heater blower ever been removed?. If it has, then it may be the case of the outer felt around the fan is missing or completley deteriorated.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Usually if it comes in under the door it does so at the rear corner where the seal gets squashed flat. Then it'll be the rear footwell getting wet.

Check the area round the relay mounting bracket up behind the bonnet release catch. Ford must have known this was a potential problem, because they hung a bit of plastic over the relays to keep them dry. If that area shows signs of water ingress then start by checking the windscreen seal.
Also check the seals round the wiper spindles.
The rubber boot on the rear bulkhead in the engine bay is there to direct water away from the heater inlet. If that blocks up with debris then water can find its way round the heater and into the car.
Also, while in the engine bay, check round the fusebox and all areas where items pass through the bulkhead, such as steering column, clutch cable, brake servo lever, speedo, throttle cable etc.
rousecapri
Car(s): capri mk3 3lt ghia(long term project) land rover discovery daily driver 2lt mpi

Post by rousecapri »

get someone to spray the front with water
while you are inside
could be coming in past the windscreen seal/scuttle panel
could be coming in past the wiper spindles
could poss be the front of the floor where it joins the bulkhead/sill (rust/rot)
if its coming from high up eg screen take the dials out it might make it easier to see where its coming from.......i will guess its the screen seal or rotten floor
Bigger is better,there is no replacement for displacement
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Easy thing to try is silicone spray along the door rubbers to attemp to repell any water that tends to hold there or creep between seal and door and running down over OR under the plastic step ( click photo below to see what that plastic step might look like underneath! )
In the lower corners of the screen frame under the rubber seal there's a drain hole a few inches in from each side. This runs inside the bodywork of the car below the scuttle panel where the wipers come through and drains away somewhere near the bonnet hinge / back of wing area. I can't imagine that Ford painted it inside there so they have all probably just about rusted through there by now? If water is getting down the inside of the bulkhead footwell area then it could be this if it isn't the rubber screen seal itself.
The body joint under where your feet sit (both sides) is a known area for water to seep in if it's a bit rusty.
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Post by andrewg1323 »

Fusebox?
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Mine does that too, it's a small rust hole in the A post/inner wing causing mine.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Burtr
Car(s): 2.8i s

Post by Burtr »

Mine is running down the footwell of the drivers side. I pulled the windscreen rubber away from the bodywork - and the inside was crumbly biscuits. The windscreen rubber caulk had disintegrated. See if yours has.