rear axle alignment

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jonnykillpop
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 injection, Lexus IS, Seat, VW Corrado VR6 (now my favourite fantastic car)

rear axle alignment

Post by jonnykillpop »

went to see a Capri for sale for mate, couple of minor things easily fixed, and good solid car, looks unmolested underneath, dead straight, BUT one rear wheel sits good half inch further in than other, chassis spring points look fine. Could this be springs, spring mounts, bushes, shackles etc. Or anything fixable, he said had replacement axle could they have misfitted?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: rear axle alignment

Post by Major_Tom »

It's probably spun it's arse out and clocked a lamp post and been poorly repaired.

You'll need to get it up on the ramps and get a tape measure handy, something's not right.

...UNless it's something as simple as one wheel has a spacer and the other doesn't? Or a badly repaired arch maybe?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
jimmyted
Car(s): ford capri 1.6L - now 2.0L

Post by jimmyted »

Mine is like this also, didn’t notice it years ago when I got the car as it had thin steels on. Months later when I put the 2.8 wheels on with 205 tyres it was pretty obvious. I assumed the axle wasn’t aligned properly somehow, as you suggested, but as Tom says could also be badly repaired bodywork. If you figure it out it’d be interesting to know why. Jim
jonnykillpop
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 injection, Lexus IS, Seat, VW Corrado VR6 (now my favourite fantastic car)

Post by jonnykillpop »

i'll try to go back wi jack and axle stands see what i can find out
Chavcapri
Car(s): fordc probe

Post by Chavcapri »

The leaf springs have locating bolts in them which should sit in holes in the axle plate. Check to see if the bolts are there as if they aren't the axle can move .
You could also try loosening the U bolts slightly and re aligning the axle. Check the rear spring shackles and see if they are both hanging at the same angle, if not, you might have a buckled spring which is making the axle run out of true.
andrewg1323
Car(s): 2.0 Cabaret Auto - Soon to be daily driver
2.0 Cameo - Currently being Zetec'd
Peugeot 406 - Daily Driver and dull as!

Post by andrewg1323 »

IIRC the axle can sit upto 1/4" off centre either side and still be within ford spec
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hey, should the single leaf springs have a locating bolt as per the multi's?
Cheers Jimbo
Chavcapri
Car(s): fordc probe

Post by Chavcapri »

Yes they should.
jonnykillpop

Post by jonnykillpop »

had proper look last night, got it on flat level ground and on jacks, on flat diff no more than 10 mm's, prob less (hard to measure) and that side had new repair arch, good job had to look very close, but reckon that arch sits few mm's further out, only thing could see underneath was that spring not sitting perfectly flat and true in rear spring shackle, other one bang on centre this one twisted by mm or two to one side, looks perfect at front mounting and axle attachment, rear spring shackle or rubber? Springs looked pretty new. Reckon it's OK, probs bang on or close bar arch. Is the rear axle adjustable anywhere, coz I was gonna get mine 4 wheel aligned having justhad new everything on front?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

No adjustment is designed into the back axle but if the front mount boxes haven't been rebuilt by an idiot, the rear chassis legs haven't had the same or been twisted in a side impact crash and the bushes are sound then it'll be as square as it needs to be. The replacement arch might have just been welded on top of the old rusty metal so beware of it showing through again. Wirebrush & WD40 the rear shackle nuts asap and again before removing then check those rear bushes. You'll need the chassis forrard of the springs supported so that the tyres are just touching the floor to support the full weight of axle/wheels/springs etc.
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

Post by Titan grau »

Mine is like that, about 10 - 12mm off centre, always has been from new, never came up in an Mot and back in the day, the main dealer couldn't find anything wrong. It's always bugged me though. I've got to tackle diff pinion seal soon so while it's off the ground I may take the opportunity to slacken everything off an see if I can split the difference and move it over 5mm.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

I would advise leaving the axle as it is or you risk the U-bolts shearing off when you try to loosen them. Bodywork must be supported on stands if you do it.