How to fit new rubber seals betwwen door & window (outside)?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cherry
Car(s): Capri 2.0 laser with 2.0S interior and (bent) exhaust with beast tailpipe - ICE still in progress
Hillman Avenger
Audi 100 2.2E Avant

How to fit new rubber seals betwwen door & window (outside)?

Post by Cherry »

OK, this must have been on here before but haven't time to search, is the metal strip on the outside screwed down or does it lever off? Do you have to unbolt the top part of the door (window surround)?
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Re: How to fit new rubber seals betwwen door & window (outside)?

Post by rich_jc »

From memory, there is a rivet on the door edge which will need to be drilled out. Once it is, the metal strip should just lever off (watch your paint work) with a screwdriver under the edge or somethng similar.

There are then 4 or 5 holders rivetted to the top door edge, and the seal is held into these as a push fit. If it's the original seal, it will be a bugger to pull out, and you might do better to drill the rivets out and take the whole lot off for sake of scratching your door and braking a clip.

If you've got a new seal from east kent trim supplies, it will just push into the holder clips once they are rivetted back in place.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

No rivet to drill, that's on the rear windows only. The metal strip will lever off and it's probably best to use a wide blade like a wall paper scraper but as Rich says make sure you protect your paintwork. If I recall I did mine by taking the rubber strip out first by opening the window fully, sliding the thin bladxe into the clip and pulling the rubber up one clip at a time. I then levered the metal strip from the window side to save damaging the door. Of course if you are only changing the rubber you don't need to take the metal strip off :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Cherry
Car(s): Capri 2.0 laser with 2.0S interior and (bent) exhaust with beast tailpipe - ICE still in progress
Hillman Avenger
Audi 100 2.2E Avant

Post by Cherry »

Good news if I don't have to disturb the metal strip, thanks both for the help.