why are automatic chokes such a pain in the arse?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: why are automatic chokes such a pain in the arse?

Post by Major_Tom »

I've almost killed our first 4-speed box gentlemen, watch this space.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Beakster
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri 2.9 24V Cosworth Injection

Post by Beakster »

Major_Tom wrote:I've almost killed our first 4-speed box gentlemen, watch this space.
:( Time to upgrade to a T5? Or a cheap MT75 from a Sierra?
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Major_Tom wrote:I've almost killed our first 4-speed box gentlemen, watch this space.
ive got a spare mate, type 3, 40 quid fella and its yours! get it anytime your ready!

Mine in my terra did 150,000 miles, got left stood for 9 years, then had around 150 bhp stuffed into one end via an AP clutch that was like a switch, and an LSD to cope with on the other end too.., doughnuts, wheelspins, burnouts you name it..up the pod, rallied about, never had a single problem, now show me a type 9 that will do all that and il be convinced!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Well this 4-speed was only 99p so I can't complain.. it'd already had 150 odd thousand miles of use I expect. Jumps out of second gear on the way down and third gear on the way up. BUt that's why God invented hands.

Cheers for the advice Glyn Control I've got another in my shed... but.. it's.. a.. type 9!

But it only cost £20 and its low miles so I'll stick it in and see what happens.

For the record though, 4-speeds are better for everything apart from hours on the motorway.. I do 180 miles a week and didn't miss the extra ratio. 4-speeds are a better change and 5-speeds only give about 1000 odd more rpm anyway from what I remember.. you don't lose anything in real money.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
LaserCapri
Car(s): Capri Laser 2.0

Post by LaserCapri »

From my discussions with people and my experience its clear that the 4 speed is the superior box. The 5 speed seems to be weaker the 4 speed has this feeling of being tough like loading a rifle when you change gear just feels more solid more precise. However the 5 speed isn't a bad box its just that for whatever reasons the 4 speed feels better. Having said that 5 speeds are good boxes and the 5th gear is really nice when your on the motorway even if you get used to the noise in a 4 speed still nice having the 5th gear.