Glovebox stereo installation - help needed!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
piransurfer

Glovebox stereo installation - help needed!

Post by piransurfer »

Hi guys- I want to keep the original radio cassette in the dash and install a cd player with USB in the glovebox but want to do a tidy job and still use the remaining space. Has anyone done this? Please could I get some ideas for doing this so it works but also looks good and not thrown in there! Photos would really help. Thanks fellas!
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Re: Glovebox stereo installation - help needed!

Post by Craigorypeck »

Hi... I did this but slightly diff. For the price of a good head unit I installed (really) good quality speakers front and back, wired up to a good power amp in the glove box with a 3.5 mini jack extension to run my ipod thru. I could also have a radio from my phone.
With a switchable pot you can have a master switch and volume on the lower dash, if you want to drill a hole!
Thing is it doesn't get a lot of use since fitting twin webers....... :mrgreen:
:spam:
piransurfer

Post by piransurfer »

That's a good idea- i'm not too fussed about a radio- it's usually garbage these days and with my ipod, i can choose what i want. Twin webers are my next mod! What's your experience of them? How much quicker has it made your car and how's the MPG? Any hassles?
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

piransurfer wrote:That's a good idea- i'm not too fussed about a radio- it's usually garbage these days and with my ipod, i can choose what i want. Twin webers are my next mod! What's your experience of them? How much quicker has it made your car and how's the MPG? Any hassles?
Twin webers are a simple bolt on mod.. Loads of info online re tuning.
I'd guess and say it added about 12 maybe 14 max bhp and mpg is about 22 going easy way less if planting. When I get ignition sorted I'll be rolling roading it and maybe these figs will increase.
:spam:
nickmatteri
Car(s): 1984 2.8i ,daily driver ,stratos silver

Post by nickmatteri »

hi i hung a cd multi player under the glovebox ,drilled 2 holes ,2 small "L" brackets,jobs a good ,un ,so long as your pasenger hasnt got size 20 feet its fine and just out of sight of potential tea-leafs
Cheersfnow Nick m
piransurfer

Post by piransurfer »

Sorted! Put the cd player in one of those autoleads plastic housings UPSIDE-DOWN in the glovebox, running the wiring in through the side of the glovebox. Original radio is still in the dash as decoration. It came with a remote control and USB so I can control it from the drivers seat without opening the door AND use my I-pod playlists! It looks neat and still leaves some space in the glovebox for...er...gloves! :lol: