2.0efi cylinder head (help plz)

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
24v_x-pack
Car(s): 1986 mk3 24v cosworth x-pack

2.0efi cylinder head (help plz)

Post by 24v_x-pack »

i recently picked up a 2.0efi pinto but it had been left outside for bout 2yrs with a sparkplug missing. wich has caused water to get into the engine ive stripped the engine down and upon inspection the bottom end looks not too bad considering pistons 1 and 4 were full of water. but the head on the other hand is not so good on the inlet side of the head it has gone rusty inside the inlets. what should i do about this should i carfuly remove the rust with a wire brush or some abrasive paper or leave it be. it looks like very bad surface rust where the engine was stored at an angle all the water had gone to the back of the head and collected causing it to rust. also is there any do's or don'ts i should know about for overhauling the cylinder head if anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated thanks.
Doc
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: 2.0efi cylinder head (help plz)

Post by 340truck »

Well..I rescued a 1.6 pinto head that had been sitting in Johnzetec's front garden, even the valve seats were rusted and pitted quite badly, managed to lap them in and it works fine.
Wire brush in a drill works well, get all the rust off from everywhere and make a decision then!!
24v_x-pack
Car(s): 1986 mk3 24v cosworth x-pack

Re: 2.0efi cylinder head (help plz)

Post by 24v_x-pack »

ok thanks for the info ill give it a good clean up tommorow the valves cleaned up ok i put em in me drill in me vice and cleaned em up with some emory cloth luckily they only had surface rust on em :)