2.8 fuel bodge

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

2.8 fuel bodge

Post by 340truck »

The time has come to begin the sorting of my hibernating 2.8. First step is to see if the engine will run. I have managed to spin the engine over without plugs and build up oil pressure, and as it was running fine when it was laid up I would expect it to start fairly easily. However, as I stole the fuel tank and pump for the efi rat I'll have to bodge up a way of fuelling it. I have a pump which I intend to feed from a can and run off a spare battery, question is, do I have to connect the pump into the fuel system at the back where the tank was (which would be really awkward) or could I disconnect the pipe from the fuel filter in the engine bay and attach the pump to that?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: 2.8 fuel bodge

Post by nigecapri »

I reckon you'd be o.k. with a can hung on a sky-hook
Dave, the pump on 2.8's only needs to be down by the tank so that it primes itself because it's a 'push' pump rather than a 'pull' pump. Just beware the silly pressure the 2.8 leccy fuel pump kicks out though and make sure it's kosher high-pressure pipe with suitable clips etc.
340truck
Donator
Donator
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Yeah it's the where I connect it in that's important Nige - as long as there isn't a pressure regulator in the system BEFORE the fuel filter then I think I should be ok connecting the pump onto the banjo fitting normally on the exit side of the filter. I'm not gonna run it for long.
Supercharged Nat
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Supercharged 2.1 (daily driver- when it works)

Post by Supercharged Nat »

ok mr haynes says there is an accumulator after the pump, before the filter..... whether you need the acumulator in the system for it to work im not sure?
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

Post by Stefan Capri »

The fuel accumilator thing is in front of where the tank would be right in the centre. I think the way the mfi system works it can cause starting problems, but im no expert lol i just know where it is coz it usually looks rotten!

I have a dented 2.8 tank if you want it, i dont want it, its off the efi i bought another tank, but it still worked fine, basically jack slipped of axle! and cought the front edge of it, dident leak. yours for postage or i guess i can bring it along somwhere next time im out or about.
340truck
Donator
Donator
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE

Post by 340truck »

Thanks Stef but I've got a new tank for it, I just want to run it for a while, fitting the new tank will be one of the last jobs.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Accumulator closes the fuel line when you turn off, to retain pressure in the line which prevents vapourisation of the fuel in the hot engine bay. It also serves to dampen out any pulses from the pump. Once the engine is running it serves no great purpose so should be no problem bypassing it.