replacing engines

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dudley815
Car(s): MKIII capri 2.0 laser. Bought for cheap and looking to restore and upgrade

replacing engines

Post by dudley815 »

I have been offered a 3.0 engine and gear box for my capri. Is it possible to replace the existing 2.0 engine with this?
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Re: replacing engines

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Yup, been done many times before.

you need the right gearbox, crossmember and radiator, basicly you need the whole package.
dudley815
Car(s): MKIII capri 2.0 laser. Bought for cheap and looking to restore and upgrade

Post by dudley815 »

ive been given the engine and gearbox for free. are all the mounting the same
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

no, you need the 3.0 cross member & mounts too
antony
Car(s): 1984 2 Litre S

Post by antony »

And the steering rack unless you want to mod' the 3 litre x member to fit your original rack
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Post by rich_jc »

Some would argue it would also be worth welding a few strenghtening plates to the strut tops and towers, as the essex lump weighs quite a bit more than a pinto. 3.0's had them from factory.

Id love to essex my car, but I just don't think id get the same handling characterisitics out of such a big engine compared to how the pinto is.

Rich
capri_sam
Car(s): Cosworth BOA, big exhaust, little bitty axle, bright yellow interior. Not exactly subtle.

Post by capri_sam »

My car is a 3.0'd 2 litre GL, works absolutely fine and does handle quite well. In mine the whole package was carried over but the power steering was left off, makes it a bum to park but fun to drive. I've not had the welding done either, because I'm lazy. I've never had any problems, but if I was involved in a head on crash I don't think the car would come out too well, structurally, due to all that extra weight without the extra rigidity. The Essex is an awesome engine, although very thirsty. I use mine as a daily driver, but wouldn't reccommend it!

In terms of andling, mine is pretty much sorted, it's got a strut brace, 2.8 suspension (120lb I think) in the front, single leafs, 1.5" lowered and x frame in the rear. Apart from needing a new steering rack, it handles rather well, considering!

Oh, and the noise is awesome... a beautiful soundtrack.
Total number of friends who have so far managed to open the passenger door first time: 1.