A GOOD PINTO ENGINE

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Preacher man
Car(s): 1986 Silver Laser 1.6 Laser, fitted with 2.0L pinto. D228 MOM

A GOOD PINTO ENGINE

Post by Preacher man »

My capri has a std 2.0 L pinto, it has the std twin choke weber. i want to build an engine that gives about 130 bhp without twin dcoe. i have a nice 4 branch and big bore exhaust, electronic dizzy.

i dont want to spend hundreds on a 2.1 with BVH , farndon crank etc.(2 x 45 dcoe 9 10 mpg) its abudget build. The engine is abit smokey , so it will be replaced soon.

Thoughts are

Freshen up bottom end, maybe go to 2.1
RS2000 head , ported andpolished by me
the exhaust as mentioned above
single 45 dcoe on a k&n
Electronic dizzy
Good set up on a rolling road

any ideas, will i hit the 130bhp mark

cheers

neil
rich_jc
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Signal Orange 1980 (W) 2.0 GL ("s" spec) 5 speed

Re: A GOOD PINTO ENGINE

Post by rich_jc »

Forget the side draught, get a Kent FR32 cam, K&N filter, 4 branch manifold with a one box free flowing exhaust system, get it set up properly on a rolling road and you should get close to 130bhp on the standard 32/36 carb.

I believe manifolds for a single sidedraught are very hard to get hold of.

Rich
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

rich_jc wrote:Forget the side draught, get a Kent FR32 cam, K&N filter, 4 branch manifold with a one box free flowing exhaust system, get it set up properly on a rolling road and you should get close to 130bhp on the standard 32/36 carb.

I believe manifolds for a single sidedraught are very hard to get hold of.

Rich
And theres your 130 bhp...ish!

You need a 40 though head skim while you freshen the top end up, you need good compression, so make sure the bottom end is ok, you are looking for 11.5-12.00 bar compression, a good well run in bottom end with a 40 though skim should make that, if your brave go for a 60 thou.
idealy you want an injection head, these flow very slightly better than a standard one but it aint that noticable out on the road, these are still out there for not much and have unleaded seats as standard.
the standard 32/36 is easy capable so dont touch it, its a good carb.
FR32 cam is very easy to live with (in my opinion too tame) but if you can live a little loss of low end torque an FR33 is worth another 4 or so horses.
any of the 4 branches will flow well at 130 brake so theres no need to spend loads there, as is the case with the exaust, most branded ones make the power.

But do you want 130 at the flywheel or wheels?
InvalidBoy
Car(s): .

[OO]===o===[OO]

Post by InvalidBoy »

Preacher Man, does your sweet talking son have anyone to talk to now Dusty has gone?
Image THE trollkiller. Oh yes! ImageImage NEXT!
Preacher man

Post by Preacher man »

invalid man , do you my son?

if so , come and teach him how to look after is festa , i am fed up with telling him. some twat nicked his spare wheel from underneath hiscar
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

HT1 cam FTW :twisted:
Preacher man

Post by Preacher man »

A local garage will refurb the bottom end at a cost of £800 , this includes new pistons , new bearings , shells, oil pump and re bored to 2.1.

He can refurb the head at a cost of £300 , this includes conversion to unleaded.but no head work.

aT £1,100 for an engine rebuild , this means the engine will be worth more than the car is worth now [ about £800 ]. I will be looking at an alternative route. I dont mind getting the spanners out and having a go myself and at these prices i will be.

Is an RS2000 engine better , i heard they chuck out about 110bhp with is about 10 more than a bog standard capri. so many options..........so little cash
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Injection engine from scrap Granada/Sierra £100 (205 block and unleaded head). Fuel tank and pump from 2.8 £70. Bolt in engine, simple wire up job to get it running. You've already got a decent manifold and system so should get over 120 bhp just from this alone. Burtons do an injection cam, no idea if it's any good but should be enough to tip you over the 130 that you want. Easy!
georgezippybungle
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1EFi Laser
BMW 325i touring

Post by georgezippybungle »

If you do an injection conversion, a standard BHP will be about 115 at flywheel but the car will be so much more responsive it will feel faster. I recently owned a 2.0i Sierra with the only mod being a 4 branch. it felt faster than a standard 2.0 capri despite being heavier. You'll get fuel economy in the 30's too. I think it's the most sensible conversion to do, although it's getting harder to find the bits.