Front suspention & Sunroof

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Tim Gilbert

Post by Tim Gilbert »

I just bought a D reg 1.6 Laser (My first car!). It's had a respray fairly recently, so is looking good, BUT it is a bit rusty underneath. The only worrying bit of rust is on the top of the suspention mounts. A I've been told that you can buy kits to weld on so that the suspention doesn't punch through, has anyone used one of these, know where I can get one from, or know any (cheap) alternatives. Also, the sunroof has scoring on top of it and will only raise, not slide back. Any ideas/advice?
Noel Reeve

Post by Noel Reeve »

A Capri as a first car, a very wise choice sir! There probably is a repair plate for the strut top mounts, which you would get from an auto panel supplier. Here in Essex I would bet Maldon Auto Panels would have one, but wherever you live, there is bound to be a place that sells it. Anyway, it isn't a very sophisticated structure, so the repair section need only consist of a plate with holes in the right place for the strut mounting bolts. On my 2.8i someone had repaired a strut top with a dirty great plate which was seam welded into place. It looks awful, but is structurally sound. The most important thing is that as it needs to be a strong area of the shell, the welds must be a continuous seam and not just a load of spots (as you do on exterior panelwork).

The reason your sunroof is scored is because it is sitting to high on its mounting and is fouling the inside of the roof, you need to adjust the height (see Haynes manual). To get the thing to slide back, you need to flick the switch that is hidden inside the handle recess, and then spin the handle in the opposite direction. It took we weeks to work that out!
guitarswet

Re: Front suspention & Sunroof

Post by guitarswet »

Most repair places will know all about suspension top mount patches. Just make sure that whoever does it does not just botch a patch over old rust otherwise it won't last very long. Make sure you aske them exactly what they intend to do. This repair won't be that cheap so you may want to wait until it fails its MOT before bothering with it.

Re- the sunroof. You can adjust the roof to stop the scratches. I think there is something about it in the Haynes manual. Are you sure you know exactly how to operate the roof as it took me a while to work it out? To tilt the roof you simply turn the handle. To open the roof completely you first have to pull the small black lever by the rotating handle. You will now find that the handle will rotate anti clockwise and the roof will slide back ! Hope this makes sense!