RUNNING A 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON UNLEAD?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MICHAEL KELLY

RUNNING A 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON UNLEAD?

Post by MICHAEL KELLY »

CAN I RUN MY 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON ULEADED PETROL WITH OUT ANY MODIFACATIONS BECAUSE WHEN I RECENTLY HAD IT TUNED I WAS TOLD IT COULD RUN ON UNLEADED PREIUM IS THAT CORRECT ?
guitarswet

Re: RUNNING A 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON UNLEAD?

Post by guitarswet »

My understanding is that you can not run your Capri on unleaded fuel because the engine needs the lead for protection. You have two choices: either use the LRP 4star petrol and don't adjust anything, or have your cylinder head modified and set up to run on unleaded. Running the Capri on unleaded fuel without adjustment will cause damage to the engine very quickly.
Noel Reeve

Re: RUNNING A 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON UNLEAD?

Post by Noel Reeve »

I very much doubt your car will have the valve inserts necessary to allow it to run on unleaded without valve seat burnout becoming a problem. If you are lucky and your engine is suitable, it will have M, MM, N or NN embosssed on the cylinder head (on the exhaust side I think). If it does have such a marking, all you need to do is have the ignition timing retarded to take account of the lower octane of unleaded petrol.
Gavin Adamson

Re: RUNNING A 1984 1600LS MK3 CAPRI ON UNLEADED

Post by Gavin Adamson »

I currently run a 1983 1.6LS & a 1987 1.6Laser. They both ran sweetly on 4 star. Since using LRP I have noticed a loss of MPG and overall performance. I sometimes get starting problems which I have never had. I would recommend getting the valve seats replaced. It'll cost about £120 + vat (4 cylinders). This I think is well worth it. I have been told by owners that have had the conversion that they got better mpg and got the performance of the car pretty much back to what it was on 4 star. Changing the timing is quite cheap as well if you cant do it yourself. Make sure you give the car a full service at the same time. For companies that do head conversions look in Practical Classics Magazine. (you should all buy this mag anyway - its full of useful tips and nearly every issue features the Capri with good things to say about it).