List of Jobs on my new purchase - Advice appreciated

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Neil

List of Jobs on my new purchase - Advice appreciated

Post by Neil »

Hi all

Well, I picked my 2.0S up last night and have spotted a few things that'll need doing, so any advice would be appreciated.

1. I get occasional overrun when turning the engine off. The idle seems a bit high (1000-1100 rpm) so I guess it might be running rich or the timing is off. Krypton tune perhaps?

2. Bit of white smoke this morning which dissipated quite quickly (1-2 mins). Valve stems? How bad should the smoke be before it's a necessity. The smoke didnt smell that much of oil either.

3. Drivers window goes about 2 thirds down then stops, I know it'll mean taking the door trim off, but it seems odd it works for some way.

Any advice appreciated as I'm a pretty novice and out of practice mechanic, I havent worked on a car since my Mini 6 years ago.

Thanks

Neil
guitarswet

List of Jobs

Post by guitarswet »

If your engine is over-running and the timing is correctly adjusted, then it is usually a sign that the engine is coked up. The carbon deposits cause hot spots which encourage ignition to continue after the key has been turned.

Your valve stem oil seals require replacing. This is a very common problem with pinto engines and can be fixed with the engine in the car It cost me about £70 to have it done. The rubber seals at the top of each valve get hard and eventually oil leaks down into the cylinder. The cloud of white smoke on start-up is a sure sign of this.

You will notice that this will get worse and worse until the car fails its MOT because of 'excessive smoke' or you get sick of the white smoke every morning. Excessive oil in the cylinder will start to affect the performance of the engine. Indeed when I had mine done I noticed a big improvement in the performance.
Noel Reeve

List of Jobs

Post by Noel Reeve »

I just want to add to Mark's comments re the engine. The running on you get is, like he says, caused because the engine is 'cocked up' and needs a good tune up. You will find though, that LRP petrol will highlight any problems with the state of tune of your engine, because it is such an utterly crap fuel. Even if you get it set up properly, you may still find it runs on occasionally like my 2.0l Laser did untill.... I started using unleaded with an additive instead.