1.6 pinto running hot

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Greg

1.6 pinto running hot

Post by Greg »

PLEASE HELP. I am currently running a 1.6 Laser which is running at a very high temp. The gauge reading varies from the needle being just under the red line to about 3\\4 of the way up. I have replaced the gauge itself, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap, temp sender unit and the temp sender unit wire but to no avail. I now don't no what to do next and am worried that I may be damaging something so any help would be greatly appreciated.
guitarswet

Re: 1.6 pinto running hot

Post by guitarswet »

As long as the gauge is not off scale I wouldn't worry too much as they are extremely inaccurate. Having said that, check the following: make sure that the sender you purchased has a white collar as there are quite a few different colours available and they will all give a different reading. When I replaced mine recently, I was sold a green one and told that it was correct. The gauge hardly moved off its resting position and so I complained - and a person who knew what he was talking about found me the correct type.

To make sure that the thermostat / radiator is OK just start the car and let her warm up, keep your hand on the top hose near the radiator. At some point the thermostat should open and the hose will suddenly get much hotter. This tells you that the water is flowing around the radiator. The other thing you can try - but be very careful is use a piece of wood and try touching the spinning fan when the engine is hot. If the fan stops without resistance then the viscous coupling has had it. As the engine gets hot the fan should spin solidly with the engine speed.

If your Capri is too hot you will notice strange things happening - like it doesn't
Andy

1.6 pinto running hot

Post by Andy »

Glad to hear your guage runs 50 - 75% at normal operation Mark. I changed my sender unit for a white collar one as you did and while it registered much better than the previous one, it runs just as you describe. If it ever gets anywhere remotely near the red/beyond half way I reckon I should be worried!