Disaster strikes !!!!!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andrew chalmers

Disaster strikes !!!!!

Post by andrew chalmers »

First problems with the new capri are now appearing after 2 weeks use !!

1. Fuse box at top of drivers inner wing seems unreliable, touch some connections/twirl the fuses and things dont work (sometimes electric fuel pump or wipers) has anyone had similair. Seems like a weird place to fit it anyway cos when you lift a wet bonnet the rain runs right down onto it !!!!

2. This might be expensive, after about 10 mins running when i turn either hard left or hard right (T-Junction) etc there is a grinding noise from the rear, at first i thought at first it was exhaust to leaf spring contact but now im concerned its the diff (I have been told that its an LSD) how can i check it, the noise isnt there on sweeping corners.

andrew chalmers
Noel Reeve

Fuses and LSD

Post by Noel Reeve »

How many covers has the fuse box got?
Odd question I know, but on most Mk IIIs there is a large black outer cover, and then a smaller clear plastic thing that just covers the fuses themselves. Is one of them missing? Having both would give you the best weather protection obviously.
If the fuse contacts are poor, then give them a good clean up with some emery paper, and bend the contacts a little so that they hold the fuses tighter. Don't forget also to clean up the fuses themselves.
Did you ever wonder why bullet fuses have been replaced with the spade connector ones??

As regards you axle noises, as I think your X-pack did have an LSD (or if it didn't one might have been fitted by someone at some point), the noises may be from the clutch plates in the LSD groaning as a result of running in shagged out old oil. To check if it is an LSD, do this:

1 Get underneath the car and take the back plate off the axle (watch out for the oil, which will quickly make an exit in a downward direction)
2 Have a look at the diff itself. If it just has a normal crownwheel (like the piccy in the Haynes manual) then its a normal diff. If it has a sort of drum type assembly inside, then its an LSD. For a pic of this, get the Haynes manual for the 2.8i, which includes details on the LSD. I cannot think of a correct way of describing what the LSD looks like.
3 Once you've taken the back plate off and made a general mess, do the following (assuming it's an LSD):

Buy an 'LSD troubleshooting kit' from the Capri Club. This consists of; some LSD specific oil, a new gasket for the back plate, some hylomar sealant and a <ahem> 'magic' ingredient, which I think is just some sort of conditioner for the oil.

Stick it all back together and your aunt will shortly be marrying a man called Robert.

And one final word, check the condition of the coverplate before you refit it. They are usually full of holes and seep oil out anyway. The Capri Club do these too. Don't forget the spring washers on the 10 bolts that hold the coverplate on! If you do not fit them, the plate works loose, all the oil drops out, and then you are f****d. I had a recon axle fitted once, they forgot to use spring washers and after about 6 weeks the plate was noticeably loose, and by the time I noticed the oil dripping out, the axle had already started to grind itself to death. I was not pleased, and vowed to do all that sort of work myself from then on.

guitarswet

Quick way to spot an LSD

Post by guitarswet »

What Noel says is all fine, but if you want to do a quick check, then jack up th rear of the car so both wheels are off the ground and then spin one wheel. If it is an ordinary differential the opposite wheel will begin to spin in the opposite direction. If it is a limited slip axle, both wheels will appear to be locked together and will spin in unison.
guitarswet

Fuse Box

Post by guitarswet »

Have a look at the picture of my Capri's engine bay where you can see the black plastic fuse cover on the LHS near the bonnet hinge. Make sure this is fitted and of not get a replacement from either Ford or a scrap yard. Do not try to seal the fuse cover - you will trap moisture and make matters worse. The cover is designed to allow water to dry out if a soaking occurs. I have to say that it has never given me any problems in the nine years I have had my Capri.
andrew chalmers

Untitled

Thanks mark
Tried this and unfortunately its NOT and LSD the other wheel goes the other way...
The axle tubes are however stickered up with Racing Transmission Service stickers who were some London outfit.
Must have been some time ago as its an 01 phone number....
andrew chalmers

Untitled

I have an outer and inner cover, further investigation has revealed a tiny solder bridge on the last (nearest lights) fuse holder on the wing side of the fuse, this is also the fuse that has the fuel pump running from it. I will do a general tidy up and see how it goes.
(the wipers stopped half way down the screen as well which apart from being a damn nuisance makes you look STOOPID as well.....) again a fuse twirl sorted this out.
andrew chalmers

Untitled

I did Marks suggested basic test and its NOT an LSD, also the grinding is not there if I coast around the same tight corners.

I think maybe I would like to fit a complete 2.8 Special backend, LSD, single leafs etc and presume that getting the whole back axle would probably be the way to go ?

I have just received my CCI membership form and will be joining soon, hope we meet sometime so i can say thanks (I'm due you a beer as well !!!!).
Noel Reeve

grinding

Post by Noel Reeve »

hmmmm, noises. If it onlt grinds when you're really spanking it round a corner, then it might be a wheel bearing that's the problem. Difficult to tell really. If it's not the wheel bearings then it will cost much wedge to replace the diff carrier bearings and the pinion bearing (which is what it would be otherwise).
guitarswet

Diff bearings

Post by guitarswet »

I had the bearings in my diff replaced by A1 gearboxes in St Neots and it cost me £300, but the diff is as good as new. Before the noise sounded like I had a cement mixer in the boot.
The wheel bearings are cheap to replace so you may want to do this as a matter of course.