Brake Callipers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Su Bullock

Brake Callipers

Post by Su Bullock »

Capri is still pulling to the right under braking and my mechanic says the only thing left to do is to change the calliper. Is it the left hand calliper I need to change if it pulls to the right? How do I know that the left one is just lazy and it is not the right one overcompensating? Would I be better putting new callipers on both sides to be sure or just the problematic one? And what price am I looking at ?
guitarswet

Callipers

Post by guitarswet »

You should be able to have the callipers overhauled. The problem will be with a piston sticking. This occurs when the rubber seal lets in moisture and it rusts up. One of the pistons will be sticking on causing the car to swerve as you brake.

It is not that easy to get the callipers off - they have two very tight bolts holding them in place and it is not unknown for the bolts to shear. They were OK on mine but I needed a large torque wrench to heave them loose.

If you do disconnect the brake hoses, the fluid will pour everywhere unless you have some plastic screw on caps which you can get from motorfactors. These save you a lot of mess!

With the callipers off the car you can remove the brake pades and give the calliper a thorough clean with wire wool and white spirit but watch the dust. Next I would have a play with the pistons themselves. You should be able to move the piston up and down with a strong pair of fingers and they should all feel the same. If the rubber seal looks past its sell by date then you can get a kit to overhaul it. If you do dismantle the piston, keep everything clean. The sides of the piston should be smooth and shiny. If not then the piston needs replacing. They are not complicated at all when you get your eye in!