Rear seat belts

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Dave Raddon

Rear seat belts

Post by Dave Raddon »

I am currently looking to buy a laser but I need to know, if rear seat belts are not fitted as standard in the 2.0 what parts would I need to get in order to fit them, and where can I get the parts????
guitarswet

Rear seat belts

Post by guitarswet »

Rear seat belts were fitted to Capris from 1986 as a legal requirement. Therefore most D-reg Capris have them factory fitted. These are pucker inertia belts and I have had to replace both of mine over the years (the mechanism is not very strong) I bought S/H belts from two suppliers listed in my spares section. I think they were £15 each + postage. You could retro fit the belts to an older Capri, but you would need all the fittings + The rear plastic parcel shelf holders (as these are a different shape - although you could modify your exisitng ones) and possibly the rear seats as well as these are slotted to allow the lap-belt to come through. You would of course need to then drill some holes in the right places. It might be an idea to have a look at a Capri with rear belts to see what is required. Either that or make sure you buy one with rear inertial belts fitted (it was one of my main requirements)
Jon B

minor correction

Post by Jon B »

If you want to fit rear belts, you will also need the boot side plastic inner panels (the contain the appropriate holes - it will be easier to change these panels than remove them and cut holes in the right places) but won't need to change the rear seats. All of the required fixing holes/reinforcements/weld nuts are already in the car - do not drill your own holes.