Windscreen-wiper-stakes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
terrymccann

Windscreen-wiper-stakes

Post by terrymccann »

Hello from Germany,

my windscreen wipers do quite a lot of mechanical sounds, screeching and scratching.

I tried to get to them from the enginebay, but there seems to be no way of getting there.

Does anyone know the easiest way? Pleeasse, don£t tell me the dashboard has to be removed !!!!

Cheerio Marco
xxx

P.S Mine is a 2.0 SuperGT, the german Laser-equivalent
Marco

Nobody out there?????

Post by Marco »

Noel Reeve

factette

Post by Noel Reeve »

The only way to the windscreen wiper motor and mechanism is by removing the dashboard. Sorry mate, it's got to be done!

You might be able to get enough acces though, by just removing the glove compartment and the radio, so you can poke things through the aperture.
Marco

What do you reckon?

Post by Marco »

Hey Noel,

thanks for your answer.

You seem to have quite a lot of experience, what do you reckon, are these wipers prone to failure? I only ask because I put a bit of oil on the shafts where the wipers come out, and the screeching£s nearly gone.....so if it would be ok like that, there would be no need to open the dashboards.

On the other hand, if these wiper-stakes are known to fail, which normally happens when it£s raining, I might be on the safe side with opening and checking them.

Any other opinions?

Cheerio Marco
xxx
Noel Reeve

wipers

Post by Noel Reeve »

I have never experienced (nor heard of) Capri windscreen wipers being prone to failure.

Any screeching you are getting could just be the joints on the lever mechanism that operates the wiper arms. To lubricate these you might be able to get access by just removing the glove compartment or poking an oil can through the radio hole.

If the wipers operate normally and at a decent speed, then the noise you get will probably be cured by oiling the lever joints. If they operate slowly, then the motor that runs the wipers may need attention (such as new brushes?). In that case you would have to take the dashboard out.
Marco

Wipers

Post by Marco »

No, luckily enough the wipers work normally re. speed and movement. I£ll try some WD40 and see what happens.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheerio
Marco
xxx