Is this the last Capri?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Martin Hulett

Is this the last Capri?

Post by Martin Hulett »

I have just bought a 1.6 laser (reg D305 FPO). The guy reckoned that it was the last one off the production line and had a 'certificate' to back up his claim. Problem is that this 'certificate' had no reference to chassis number etc so it doesn't prove anything, however, I just gotta know! so, does anyone know if chassis number WFOCXXGAECGB51907 was really the end of an era? If you do please mail me back. TA very much.
Andy

Is this the last Capri?

Post by Andy »

Sorry to shatter any illusions but I can tell you straight off that nearly all the Brooklands Capris (special farewell 2.8 models) are on E platers. There is a possibility that it may have been the last Laser but you'll have to check that chassis number with Ford UK for that.
Noel Reeve

Is this the last Capri?

Post by Noel Reeve »

The very last Capri ever made came off the production line in Colonge on 19th December 1986. That particular car was a 280 (or 'Brooklands' as some people insist on calling them). Your Laser is DEFINITELY not the last ever Capri, although it might have been the last LASER model, because most later Capris were Injection Specials or 280s. As you have said yourself, the certificate is no help because it has no chassis number on it. There were some Capris sold on E plates, since they sat around unsold until late 1987 / early 1988, but most of the last ones were D reg. I used to work for Ford, so I know these things!
guitarswet

Re: Last Capri

Post by guitarswet »

I think you will find that the last Capris off the production line were the Brooklands 280's There is a photo of the last one coming off the line with the workforce surrounding it with a 'Goodbye Capri' banner over it!
Tracey

Last capri?

Post by Tracey »

I cant say if your car is the last but from the "date code" (last 2 letters of chassis number) your car was built in september 1986 - dont know if this is helpful or not?