diff cover again

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
suzette bullock

diff cover again

Post by suzette bullock »

My diff cover is leaking as it has rusted a hole in it just around the handbrake rod. I've sent off to CCI for a new diff cover, however they tell me they are out of stock for the next 2/3 weeks. Meanwhile, my baby is leaking oil and I'm getting concerned as I am still using the car, but I do keep having the rear axle oil checked and topped up. Two questions -One, Can i use 'Leak-Fix' to temporarily stop the leaking and two, does anyone know of anywhere else who sells the salisbury type diff covers?
Thanks
Suzette Bullock
guitarswet

Diff Cover

Post by guitarswet »

Unless the oil is absolutely gushing out I woul'dnt worry too much. The oil is quite thick so it tends to stay put. If it is just a few drops on the floor then don't worry - there is a couple of pints of oil in there and it is not suffering as much abuse as the engine oil which is constantly being heated up.
Marco

Untitled

Post by Marco »

Well, my diffcover is also pretty rusty. Although it does not seem to be "holier than the pope" ;-)

I think I will go and brush it and afterwards I will apply some Hammerite, a paint you can apply directly onto rusted metal after removing the loose parts. It somehow converts the rust into something more resistable.....

Any experiences with that someone???

Cheers
Marco
xxx
suzette bullock

hammerite

Post by suzette bullock »

Yes - Hammerite is really good stuff, especially the smooth finish. I used the smooth silver hammerite when I filled my rear wheel arches and it's stopped any more decay. I used Hammerite's KURUST before using the hammerite though to kill any rust already there and then painted it with smooth hammerite.
Suzette
Marco

Untitled

Post by Marco »

Yeah, I think that sounds not bad. Hopefully the cover doesn£t get any holes when I brush it. But after treating it with H. the total decay should be postponed a bit.

Cheers
M
xxx
guitarswet

Hammerite

Post by guitarswet »

If you do use Hammerite make sure you read the instructions on the tine as you must apply the second coat 1-3 hours after the first. Otherwise you have to wait six weeks before re-painting. Believe me I tried ignoring this and ended up with a right old mess!
Marco

Cheers !!!

Post by Marco »

Good to know, will report....

Marco
xxx