Starting difficulties

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
JamieH

Starting difficulties

Post by JamieH »

Hi Folks,
I'm having a few problems starting my Capri. It's a 1985 1600 Laser, and still has the horrible VV carb (I'm saving up for a 2.0 and a decent carb!). Anyway, last week the condensor gave up the ghost-stopped it starting. Now I've replaced that, it's deciding to fire on the first turn, then conk out, and not want to know at all. The first time this happened I thought the girlfriend had run it completely out of petrol-I put some in, and it went straight off. Next time it decided not to start when I had to take the same girlfriend to work. In the end it wouldn't go at all, so I left it and came back later-I looked at the autochoke-no problem. I took the top off-plenty of fuel, everthing as per the book. Next I took out the anti-run on solenoid-it doesn't move at all with power to it, so I left it out, and it ran first time. This morning, no go again-took the solenoid out-still no go. Anybody any ideas? This problem is a bit irritating, to put it very mildly!
JamieH

Starting problems cured

Post by JamieH »

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get an electronic ignition kit as soon as funds allow, which will hopefully help. Turns out it was either an autochoke problem, or the idle mixture. I had the carb in lots of little bits, but the only things I actually did to it were-reset the autochoke adjustments, and make the idle mixture a bit richer. (Touch wood) It has started every time since.