carb fault

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
steven

carb fault

Post by steven »

I have brought a D reg 2L lazer three days ago and it has started to splutter and rev on tick over.
It will adjust out on mixture screw drive it and it will happen again.
Can any one help please.
thanks ste.
suzette bullock

idle speed adjustment

Post by suzette bullock »

I too have a D Laser, but being a girlie (I mean that in the nicest possible way - I said it!) I too discovered the same problem and found that adjusting the idle speed screw( by the carb, as I believe the mixture adjustment to be on the actual engine, am I right?) so that the car ran a little bit fast, just over 1000 rpm at idle stopped the problem, 'cos mine kept stalling if it was running at too low an idle ( however I turn the screw back at MOT time -oops, don't tell anyone!)
I hope this is useful and if I have my facts right, Brownie Points can be sent via my e-mail......
Su
guitarswet

Idle & Mixture

Post by guitarswet »

The knurled knob you are adjusting simply changes the speed at which the engine idles. A good-running Capri engine should idle at around 800-900 rpm. Any higher and you are wasting petrol. The mixture setting is also on the carburettor. It is a small screw that is recessed into the carburettor housing and not that easy to see. Often the screw housing is covered with a plastic tamper proof plug which has to be prised off before adjusting. You should only adjust the mixture setting if you really know what you are doing as you need an exhaust gas analyser to do the job properly.